Singer FKA Twigs helps out at community barbecue for over 50s in London Fields
- Credit: Archant
Mercury Prize nominated singer FKA Twigs helped out at a free community barbecue for the over 50s in London Fields.
Chris Murdoch, who arranges regular events for people who may be feeling isolated through his organisation Golden Years Hackney, was back with his latest party at the Our/London railway arch in Spurstowe Road last month.
There was singing, dancing and a quiz, with top butchers Ginger Pig providing meat for the barbecue. The rest of the food came courtesy of Bistrotheque, Jonathan Norris fishmongers and Pavilion bakery. Hackney Gelato was also on hand to provide its ice cream.
Chris said: "Golden years is a community that keeps growing. We've been going long enough to have some regulars and they are quick to welcome new faces.
"We don't have a dividing line between guests and volunteers. Irene, 93, joined us recently to serve drinks, waiting on the younger ones!
You may also want to watch:
"It's a place where those at risk from social isolation are welcomed to find company and entertainment just for them."
Check out Golden Years on Instagram @goldenyearshackney.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 8 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 9 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 10 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition