Singer FKA Twigs helps out at community barbecue for over 50s in London Fields
- Credit: Archant
Mercury Prize nominated singer FKA Twigs helped out at a free community barbecue for the over 50s in London Fields.
Chris Murdoch, who arranges regular events for people who may be feeling isolated through his organisation Golden Years Hackney, was back with his latest party at the Our/London railway arch in Spurstowe Road last month.
There was singing, dancing and a quiz, with top butchers Ginger Pig providing meat for the barbecue. The rest of the food came courtesy of Bistrotheque, Jonathan Norris fishmongers and Pavilion bakery. Hackney Gelato was also on hand to provide its ice cream.
Chris said: "Golden years is a community that keeps growing. We've been going long enough to have some regulars and they are quick to welcome new faces.
"We don't have a dividing line between guests and volunteers. Irene, 93, joined us recently to serve drinks, waiting on the younger ones!
You may also want to watch:
"It's a place where those at risk from social isolation are welcomed to find company and entertainment just for them."
Check out Golden Years on Instagram @goldenyearshackney.
- 1 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 4 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 5 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 6 Trick or Eat returns to help Hackney Foodbank
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 9 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney