Six of the best for Tottenham Hotspur Ladies at Gillingham
- Credit: Archant
Pre-season friendly: Gillingham Ladies 1 Tottenham Hotspur Ladies 6
Tottenham Hotspur Ladies’ 2017-18 pre-season started in emphatic fashion at newly-promoted FA Women’s Premier League outfit Gillingham as they picked up a 6-1 win in Kent.
All Spurs’ goals came in the first half, and only a second half penalty denied the visitors a clean sheet.
It was a first half to remember and they went ahead with just three minutes on the clock when Ryah Vyse smashed home after good work in the build-up from summer signing Sarah Wiltshire and Bianca Baptiste.
Baptiste was to double their lead inside 10 minutes when Georgie Morton played her in and she slotted the ball down the middle of the goal.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors were showing encouraging signs and they made it 3-0 when Jenna Schillaci’s corner was met by Wendy Martin who powered her header home, and the same duo were almost involved in a carbon copy goal, but Martin’s close range header didn’t cross the line.
The hosts had very little of the ball, but Danni Farmer blazed over before the lively Wiltshire unleashed a shot on goal which could only be blocked and Martin was there to add her second and make it 4-0 inside 19 minutes.
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 4 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 10 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
Wiltshire was not to be denied her opening goal for Spurs just past the half hour mark having been found by Baptiste.
The summer recruit from Yeovil Town tried her luck from 20 yards and her effort took a slight deflection on its way into the net.
Wiltshire made it six before the break with her second and the goal of the game as she found the back of the net with a wonderful strike from 35-yards.
Spurs went in search of further goals in the second period, and Wilshire was denied a hat-trick when Courtney Shanly tipped her 25-yard strike wide.
The hopes of a clean sheet were ended though when Maisie Jerrim was adjudged to have handled in the box and Farmer slotted home from the penalty spot.
Chances began to dry out, but Lauren George was close to a seventh late on but she couldn’t connect with Katie O’Leary’s cross.
Spurs Ladies: Chloe Sansom, Lucia Leon, Jenna Schillaci, Renee Hector, Ryah Vyse, Coral-Jade Haines, Georgie Morton, Sarah Wiltshire, Ronnell Humes, Wendy Martin, Bianca Baptiste, Kelly Smith, Shania Leacock, Beau Parker, Eden Bailey, Lauren George, Katie O’Leary, Maisie Jerrim.