Skateboard event in Dalston’s Gillett Square raises £1,750 for Palestinian charity SkatePal
- Credit: Archant
Gillett Square in Dalston hosted an annual skateboarding festival at the weekend, raising £1,750 for a charity that aims to bring boarding to Palestine’s youth.
Teaming up once again with the square’s long-standing institution Kaffa Coffee, the charity brought down a whole host of activities and people to the space for an event that simultaneously raised awareness for the cause while bringing together disparate elements of the local population.
With skateboarding lessons for young children early in the day, a free-for-all skate on the obstacles provided by The Ramp Supply, a game of Skate, vegan Palestinian food from What The Fatoush, a fund-raising raffle and DJs spinning vinyl all afternoon, there was something for everyone to enjoy.
Spectators of all stripes lined the sides of the square, enjoying the atmosphere, for once not getting angry if a stray board happened to catch them accidentally on the shin.
“This year’s jam was a big success, raising £1750 towards our ongoing work with young people in Palestine,” charity director Theo Krish said. “Each year the event has grown and it’s great to see new and old faces coming down to support what we do - we’re extremely grateful for the contributions of our volunteers within the local community, who continually give their time and money to help us continue our work in Palestine.”
You may also want to watch:
SkatePal will move into the Old Fire Station in Stoke Newington next month.
To find out more about its work and to donate, click here.
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 7 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 8 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 9 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images