Slade: Our support will be vital
- Credit: Archant
Preview: Leyton Orient v Southend United, tonight, kick-off 7.45pm
Manager Russell Slade has called on the Leyton Orient fans to roar his side on to Wembley at tonight’s Johnstone’s Paint Trophy area final first leg.
Having overcome Barnet, Northampton Town and Yeovil Town in previous rounds the O’s now take on fierce rivals Southend United over two legs – the first at the Matchroom Stadium this evening.
More than 5,000 tickets have been sold in advance for the tie and Slade hopes the support of a bumper crowd can see his side gain an early advantage.
“I need the fans to come out and get behind the team,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“First legs are never easy, so if we can take an advantage to their place I will be delighted.
“It’s an important game for us and the fans. There’s a slot at Wembley available and no-one wants to toss that away.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 4 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 5 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 6 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 7 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 10 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
“It would be fantastic to get there. I want to take the fans to Wembley, it’s a big desire. We’re just a contest away and we just need to make sure we do it properly.”
Striker Charlie MacDonald is cup-tied, so Shaun Batt is set to partner David Mooney in attack.
Meanwhile, midfielders Lee Cook and Martin Rowlands, who sat out Saturday’s 1-0 win at Stevenage, are in line for a recall.
Tickets are still available to buy online until 5pm this evening. Visit www.leytonorient.com