Solly Cup 2019: Millfields Primary School steal back crown in annual charity football match to remember Suleman Vesamia
- Credit: alastair Dent
Players from Millfields Primary School beat their rivals at Rushmore in the seventh annual charity football match held to commemorate the life of Suleman “Solly” Vesamia.
The father-of-three, who ran A&S Cycles in Chatsworth Road, was a keen football player and lifelong West Ham fan, passed away from a rare muscle-wasting disease in 2013.
Solly's widow Sham and children Aysha, Eisa and Liyya attended the games and drew the raffle prizes.
The game raised nearly £1,200 for Hackney Shed, a charity which helps local young people to get involved in drama, and will be spent on leadership workshops for young people with special educational needs and autism.
Organiser Alastair Dent said the game had again been a great success.
You may also want to watch:
"A large and enthusiastic crowd enjoyed the warm weather and drank the bar dry twice," he said. "The Millfields School side who beat Rushmore School the holders 5-1 in an exciting game.
"No doubt Rushmore will be hoping to win it back next year."
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 4 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 5 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 6 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 7 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 8 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 9 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 10 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan