Solly Cup 2019: Millfields Primary School steal back crown in annual charity football match to remember Suleman Vesamia
- Credit: alastair Dent
Players from Millfields Primary School beat their rivals at Rushmore in the seventh annual charity football match held to commemorate the life of Suleman “Solly” Vesamia.
The father-of-three, who ran A&S Cycles in Chatsworth Road, was a keen football player and lifelong West Ham fan, passed away from a rare muscle-wasting disease in 2013.
Solly's widow Sham and children Aysha, Eisa and Liyya attended the games and drew the raffle prizes.
The game raised nearly £1,200 for Hackney Shed, a charity which helps local young people to get involved in drama, and will be spent on leadership workshops for young people with special educational needs and autism.
Organiser Alastair Dent said the game had again been a great success.
You may also want to watch:
"A large and enthusiastic crowd enjoyed the warm weather and drank the bar dry twice," he said. "The Millfields School side who beat Rushmore School the holders 5-1 in an exciting game.
"No doubt Rushmore will be hoping to win it back next year."
- 1 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 2 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 3 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 4 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 5 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 6 Corbyn slams 'spy cops' in peace group as 'disgraceful interference'
- 7 A sneak peak of what's in store for Black History Season in Hackney
- 8 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 9 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 10 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers