Solly Cup 2019: Millfields Primary School steal back crown in annual charity football match to remember Suleman Vesamia
- Credit: alastair Dent
Players from Millfields Primary School beat their rivals at Rushmore in the seventh annual charity football match held to commemorate the life of Suleman “Solly” Vesamia.
The father-of-three, who ran A&S Cycles in Chatsworth Road, was a keen football player and lifelong West Ham fan, passed away from a rare muscle-wasting disease in 2013.
Solly's widow Sham and children Aysha, Eisa and Liyya attended the games and drew the raffle prizes.
The game raised nearly £1,200 for Hackney Shed, a charity which helps local young people to get involved in drama, and will be spent on leadership workshops for young people with special educational needs and autism.
Organiser Alastair Dent said the game had again been a great success.
You may also want to watch:
"A large and enthusiastic crowd enjoyed the warm weather and drank the bar dry twice," he said. "The Millfields School side who beat Rushmore School the holders 5-1 in an exciting game.
"No doubt Rushmore will be hoping to win it back next year."
- 1 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 2 Fatal Gillett Square shooting shines spotlight on crime hotspot
- 3 Patrick Anzy: Two arrests in Dalston fatal shooting investigation
- 4 Pub managers in Hackney tell how life is since lockdown eased
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 Hackney's Miss London makes it to Miss England final
- 7 Man dies after reports of shooting in Dalston
- 8 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 9 Dalston shooting victim named by police
- 10 'The pressure is intense': Hoxton vegan chef competes in Great British Menu