South Hackney murder probe: Cassland Road stabbing victim named as Alex Vanderpuye
- Credit: police
The 24-year-old man stabbed to death in South Hackney has been named as Alex Vanderpuye.
The air ambulance and police officers rushed to the spot where Mr Vanderpuye lay collapsed in Cassland Road, at the junction with Christie Road, at 4.45pm last Thursday.
Medics fought to save his life, but he was pronounced dead at the scene half an hour later.
One man who arrived there shortly after the attack told the Gazette he believed he had been stabbed through the heart.
Scotland Yard said officers are keeping “an open mind” regarding the motive, and continue to appeal for witnesses. No arrests have yet been made.
You may also want to watch:
Det Ch Insp Jamie Piscopo from the Met’s murder squad will be positioning his officers at the scene of the murder exactly a week on from the stabbing – from 3.30pm until 6.30pm on Thursday.
“Hackney is a busy and vibrant borough and this incident took place at a time where lots of people would have been around,” he said.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
“No matter how insignificant you think it may be, please make the call.
“We will be available to speak with anyone who believes they may have seen something. We will also be distributing leaflets in the area that will include contact details for our incident room.”
Anyone who witnessed the incident or has information is asked to call 020 8345 3865, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.