Lamela treble inspires Spurs to victory over Southend
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Behind closed doors pre-season friendly: Tottenham Hotspur 6 Southend United 0
Erik Lamela netted a hat-trick as Tottenham Hotspur thrashed local side Southend United 6-0 on Wednesday afternoon.
The League One club took a team to Spurs’ Enfield training base for a behind closed doors friendly and four different players got on the scoresheet for the Lilywhites.
Mauricio Pochettino picked a relatively strong side and was rewarded with a strong display against the Blues.
It took Tottenham only seven minutes to take the lead when Lamela and Lucas Moura linked up well and the former side-footed home.
You may also want to watch:
Spurs doubled their advantage with 11 on the clock when Serge Aurier’s cross fell for Fernando Llorente and the Spaniard volleyed in from close range.
A third goal was grabbed soon after when Moura and Aurier combined impressively for Lamela to tap in for his second.
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 4 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 5 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 6 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 7 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 10 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
Brazilian Moura got in on the action in the 27th minute when Ben Davies crossed in for Moura to score after linking up with Lamela.
With half time approaching, Spurs still had time to grab another and it went to their in-form Argentinean.
Moura and Aurier were again involved and Lamela was on hand to find off a flowing move and make it 5-0 at the break.
Various changes were made at the interval with Paulo Gazzaniga replacing Michel Vorm in goal and unsurprisingly the attacking waves slowed slightly.
In the 78th minute Tottenham produced another excellent move, however, and it did result in a sixth goal.
Lamela played a wonderful through ball and youngster Tashan Oakley-Boothe ran onto it before slotting home to make it 6-0.
Southend pushed for a consolation effort in the dying exchanges, but could not find a way past substitute goalkeeper Gazzaniga.
The full time whistle soon followed and Tottenham finished with a completely different starting XI to the one which began the match.
In addition to the aforementioned players, Pochettino also gave minutes to midfield pair Mousa Sissoko and Victor Wanyama.
A number of youngsters were also involved as the Spurs boss decides which academy members to take on the club’s upcoming tour to the USA.