Lamela treble inspires Spurs to victory over Southend
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Behind closed doors pre-season friendly: Tottenham Hotspur 6 Southend United 0
Erik Lamela netted a hat-trick as Tottenham Hotspur thrashed local side Southend United 6-0 on Wednesday afternoon.
The League One club took a team to Spurs’ Enfield training base for a behind closed doors friendly and four different players got on the scoresheet for the Lilywhites.
Mauricio Pochettino picked a relatively strong side and was rewarded with a strong display against the Blues.
It took Tottenham only seven minutes to take the lead when Lamela and Lucas Moura linked up well and the former side-footed home.
You may also want to watch:
Spurs doubled their advantage with 11 on the clock when Serge Aurier’s cross fell for Fernando Llorente and the Spaniard volleyed in from close range.
A third goal was grabbed soon after when Moura and Aurier combined impressively for Lamela to tap in for his second.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 7 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 8 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
Brazilian Moura got in on the action in the 27th minute when Ben Davies crossed in for Moura to score after linking up with Lamela.
With half time approaching, Spurs still had time to grab another and it went to their in-form Argentinean.
Moura and Aurier were again involved and Lamela was on hand to find off a flowing move and make it 5-0 at the break.
Various changes were made at the interval with Paulo Gazzaniga replacing Michel Vorm in goal and unsurprisingly the attacking waves slowed slightly.
In the 78th minute Tottenham produced another excellent move, however, and it did result in a sixth goal.
Lamela played a wonderful through ball and youngster Tashan Oakley-Boothe ran onto it before slotting home to make it 6-0.
Southend pushed for a consolation effort in the dying exchanges, but could not find a way past substitute goalkeeper Gazzaniga.
The full time whistle soon followed and Tottenham finished with a completely different starting XI to the one which began the match.
In addition to the aforementioned players, Pochettino also gave minutes to midfield pair Mousa Sissoko and Victor Wanyama.
A number of youngsters were also involved as the Spurs boss decides which academy members to take on the club’s upcoming tour to the USA.