Lamela treble inspires Spurs to victory over Southend
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Behind closed doors pre-season friendly: Tottenham Hotspur 6 Southend United 0
Erik Lamela netted a hat-trick as Tottenham Hotspur thrashed local side Southend United 6-0 on Wednesday afternoon.
The League One club took a team to Spurs’ Enfield training base for a behind closed doors friendly and four different players got on the scoresheet for the Lilywhites.
Mauricio Pochettino picked a relatively strong side and was rewarded with a strong display against the Blues.
It took Tottenham only seven minutes to take the lead when Lamela and Lucas Moura linked up well and the former side-footed home.
Spurs doubled their advantage with 11 on the clock when Serge Aurier’s cross fell for Fernando Llorente and the Spaniard volleyed in from close range.
A third goal was grabbed soon after when Moura and Aurier combined impressively for Lamela to tap in for his second.
- 1 Monkeypox: 7 patients in Homerton and Royal Free hospitals
- 2 2 men stabbed in 'row involving group' in Upper Clapton
- 3 Jailed: Man chased teenager and stabbed him in back in Lower Clapton
- 4 Nursery downgraded by inspectors over sleep and safety concerns
- 5 Cardboard boxes causing delays in and around Hackney Wick
- 6 Hackney girls school gets 'good' Ofsted after 'inadequate' rating
- 7 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 8 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 9 7 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in north London
- 10 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
Brazilian Moura got in on the action in the 27th minute when Ben Davies crossed in for Moura to score after linking up with Lamela.
With half time approaching, Spurs still had time to grab another and it went to their in-form Argentinean.
Moura and Aurier were again involved and Lamela was on hand to find off a flowing move and make it 5-0 at the break.
Various changes were made at the interval with Paulo Gazzaniga replacing Michel Vorm in goal and unsurprisingly the attacking waves slowed slightly.
In the 78th minute Tottenham produced another excellent move, however, and it did result in a sixth goal.
Lamela played a wonderful through ball and youngster Tashan Oakley-Boothe ran onto it before slotting home to make it 6-0.
Southend pushed for a consolation effort in the dying exchanges, but could not find a way past substitute goalkeeper Gazzaniga.
The full time whistle soon followed and Tottenham finished with a completely different starting XI to the one which began the match.
In addition to the aforementioned players, Pochettino also gave minutes to midfield pair Mousa Sissoko and Victor Wanyama.
A number of youngsters were also involved as the Spurs boss decides which academy members to take on the club’s upcoming tour to the USA.