The Chase star Shaun Wallace set to host charity quiz for Hackney Foodbank
- Credit: Emma Bartholomew
The speaker of Hackney has organised a quiz night to raise money for the Hackney Foodbank.
Shaun Wallace from the ITV show The Chase will host the online event at 7pm on December 4.
It costs £5 to play individually or as a household team.
Cllr Kam Adams has nominated the charity for the remainder of his speakership, which has been extended past the usual year’s term because of coronavirus.
A spokesperson for Hackney Foodbank had already seen an alarming rise in those accessing its services before the coronavirus pandemic - but the lockdown made those levels “pale into insignificance”.
You may also want to watch:
They added: “In the first three months of lockdown alone, Hackney Foodbank served more people than we did in the entire year of 2018. That’s over 5,600 mouths.
“Many of these people had been in paid work but were suddenly forced to stop overnight, with no safety net and no savings to tide them over.”
- 1 Residents' parking spaces removed for Church Street LTN
- 2 New free map reveals the best walking routes in Hackney and Islington
- 3 Hackney's pie and mash house son featured on MasterChef
- 4 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 5 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 6 Sadiq Khan warns of flood threat to Hackney from climate emergency
- 7 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 8 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 9 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 10 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
They added: “More than a quarter of the people relying on our emergency food parcels are children, and most of them are of primary school age.
“Last year we fed over 8,300 people.
“In comparison, this year we have already fed over 13,300.”
The charity distributes food from St John Hoxton’s crypt in Pitfield Street on Monday, St Thomas’ in Clapton Common on Wednesday, St Mary’s in Stoke Newington Church Street on Thursday and the Florence Bennett Centre in Cherbury Street on Saturday.
For more information on the quiz, email firstname.lastname@example.org.