Spit-roast pig guest of honour at Dalston street party
A spit-roasted pig wearing a crown and Union Jack sunglasses elevated one street bash’s party food a notch or two above the ham sandwiches and sausage rolls on offer at other jubilee events yesterday (Saturday).
The dramatic centrepiece was dished up to revellers at the Bradbury Street party in Dalston by the owner and head chef of a new restaurant that is set to open in the street next month.
Danny Cheetham, 30, told the Gazette the glamorously-attired pig had been a hit with partygoers and said: “It’s a bit of a spectacle, it’s something for people to look at, and it’s fun to dress it up!”
Even though there’s a few weeks to go before the launch of the White Rabbit, Danny said the street party had made him excited about starting his business in the area.
“We all came together to make this party happen, and there’s a real community vibe,” he added.
You may also want to watch:
Vanessa Wheatly, of Victoria Road, Stoke Newington, had brought two-year-old daughter Veronica along and both said they were planning to try the roast pork.
The 29-year-old electrical engineering student said: “We’ve had a great time; it’s been a really lovely day.”
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 8 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 9 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 10 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
Other activities on offer at the party included children’s games, a DJ, a band crooning French songs, and food stalls.