Spit-roast pig guest of honour at Dalston street party
A spit-roasted pig wearing a crown and Union Jack sunglasses elevated one street bash’s party food a notch or two above the ham sandwiches and sausage rolls on offer at other jubilee events yesterday (Saturday).
The dramatic centrepiece was dished up to revellers at the Bradbury Street party in Dalston by the owner and head chef of a new restaurant that is set to open in the street next month.
Danny Cheetham, 30, told the Gazette the glamorously-attired pig had been a hit with partygoers and said: “It’s a bit of a spectacle, it’s something for people to look at, and it’s fun to dress it up!”
Even though there’s a few weeks to go before the launch of the White Rabbit, Danny said the street party had made him excited about starting his business in the area.
“We all came together to make this party happen, and there’s a real community vibe,” he added.
You may also want to watch:
Vanessa Wheatly, of Victoria Road, Stoke Newington, had brought two-year-old daughter Veronica along and both said they were planning to try the roast pork.
The 29-year-old electrical engineering student said: “We’ve had a great time; it’s been a really lovely day.”
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 3 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 4 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 8 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 9 Parents protest plan to close children's centres in Hackney
- 10 Stevenage and Leyton Orient still searching for a victory after stalemate at the Lamex
Other activities on offer at the party included children’s games, a DJ, a band crooning French songs, and food stalls.