Spit-roast pig guest of honour at Dalston street party
A spit-roasted pig wearing a crown and Union Jack sunglasses elevated one street bash’s party food a notch or two above the ham sandwiches and sausage rolls on offer at other jubilee events yesterday (Saturday).
The dramatic centrepiece was dished up to revellers at the Bradbury Street party in Dalston by the owner and head chef of a new restaurant that is set to open in the street next month.
Danny Cheetham, 30, told the Gazette the glamorously-attired pig had been a hit with partygoers and said: “It’s a bit of a spectacle, it’s something for people to look at, and it’s fun to dress it up!”
Even though there’s a few weeks to go before the launch of the White Rabbit, Danny said the street party had made him excited about starting his business in the area.
“We all came together to make this party happen, and there’s a real community vibe,” he added.
Vanessa Wheatly, of Victoria Road, Stoke Newington, had brought two-year-old daughter Veronica along and both said they were planning to try the roast pork.
The 29-year-old electrical engineering student said: “We’ve had a great time; it’s been a really lovely day.”
- 1 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 2 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 3 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 4 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 5 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 6 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 7 Jailed: Hackney man sentenced for fatal hit-and-run
- 8 Teenage girls arrested after incident in Kingsland High Street
- 9 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
- 10 Hackney man wanted by Surrey Police
Other activities on offer at the party included children’s games, a DJ, a band crooning French songs, and food stalls.