Spurs boss: Alderweireld can be proud of his season despite Player of the Year snub
Mauricio Pochettino says Toby Alderweireld can be proud of his performances this season, despite being omitted from the shortlist for the PFA Players’ Player of the Year award.
While Harry Kane was nominated for the senior prize, there was widespread disappointment among Tottenham supporters that Alderweireld – who has been a key player in the Premier League’s best defence – did not make the shortlist.
Pochettino said: “I cannot do anything about this because I am not involved in the selection of the players and it is not defensive players on the list.
“I have nothing to say but I am happy with him. His performance has been fantastic from the beginning of the season and he doesn’t need to be recognised to feel that.
“Football is about scoring goals but, as a manager, the keeper and defensive line are at the same level of importance.”
You may also want to watch:
Kane has been nominated for both the Player of the Year and the Young Player prize – having won the junior gong last season – while Dele Alli is also on the shortlist for the Young Player award.
“I am very happy they have recognised our season with Harry and Dele Alli and I am sure a lot of players deserve to be recognised,” Pochettino added. “But, more importantly, we feel as a team that we are in a good way and we are happy with our performances and feel proud of our team.”
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 7 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 8 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 9 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs