Spurs boss: Harry Kane is a strong contender to win PFA Player of the Year award
Tottenham head coach Mauricio Pochettino believes Harry Kane is a strong contender to win the PFA Player of the Year award.
Kane was given the Young Player of the Year prize last season and is currently leading the Premier League goalscoring chart, having scored 21 times in the top flight this season.
The 22-year-old enhanced his reputation even further last Saturday night, striking clinically to start England’s comeback against world champions Germany as the national team came from 2-0 down to triumph 3-2 in Berlin – and Pochettino believes he deserves to be firmly in the reckoning when the individual awards are handed out at the end of the campaign.
“In my opinion yes, my players are the best, always,” he joked. “But in this case, to be honest and objective, I think yes – he is one of the contenders to be the best player of the year in the Premier League.”
Kane has been wearing a protective mask since breaking his nose against Crystal Palace on February 21, and has scored six goals in his last six games for club and country.
You may also want to watch:
He is expected to be mask-free against Liverpool on Saturday, though, with Pochettino reporting: “Today he trained without his mask, which is good
for him because always it is a little bit tough to play with this mask on your face.”
- 1 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 2 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 3 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 4 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 5 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 6 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 7 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 8 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 9 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs