Spurs boss: I’ll promote an academy striker if we can’t find the right signing
Mauricio Pochettino says a host of players will be keen to join Tottenham but he will only sign a player who will improve the squad - and he would prefer to promote an academy prospect than buy someone for the sake of it.
Harry Kane has been Spurs’ only specialist striker for the first half of the season and the recruitment of a forward would appear to be a priority for the club before the January transfer window closes.
But Pochettino insists he has no intention of panic-buying and will trust another of the club’s young talents if necessary.
The head coach said: “There’s a lot of players and names that want to come to us because Tottenham is a big club.
“I think the project is very attractive - the philosophy, how the team plays. There’s a lot of players that want to come and it’s important for us to pick the right players. If it’s not possible now it’s not a big problem for me.
You may also want to watch:
“Maybe the people or you are worried or concerned about different things but I’m happy with the squad we have.
“I’ve always told you we need to add the right profile or people or players to improve us. If we don’t find the right player that can improve us, then why do it? To bring a player just to bring him in? This is not our philosophy. We have enough quality, we have younger players in our academy with a lot of potential like Shayon [Harrison] and Kazaiah Sterling.
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 4 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 5 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 6 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 7 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 8 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 10 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
“I can give a lot of names that are very young and are hungry and can help us to achieve everything.
“It’s ok and you are right that we can add some players to help us and improve the squad, but if we don’t find this player we have enough youngsters to help us.”
Andros Townsend appears to be nearing the exit door, having failed to appear for Spurs’ first team since October 22, and Newcastle are keen to sign him.
But Pochettino said: “I am not involved in the negotiations, I am the head coach.
“It’s true that Andros is in a position where he doesn’t play too much for us but all players are involved in our squad. They only need to wait.
“Andros has not played in the last few months and he wants to play. If some facility arrives [to leave] the decision is always from the club. Today it’s all about rumours, there’s nothing clear.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs