Spurs boss laughs off claims he was wrong to sell QPR star
Redknapp has no regrets over Taarabt
Harry Redknapp believes that Adel Taarabt will “start with a bang” in the Premier League with QPR – but refutes suggestions that he should have kept the maverick Moroccan.
Taarabt, 22, was at Tottenham when Harry Redknapp arrived in October 2008, but made just three appearances as a substitute before being loaned to QPR in March 2009.
Having ended the season at Loftus Road, and returned to Rangers for the whole of the following campaign, Taarabt’s loan became permanent in a �1million move last summer.
Since then, the Moroccan international has captained Neil Warnock’s side to promotion, scoring 19 goals and winning the Championship Player of the Year award - and Redknapp expects his former player to pick up where he left off when he returns to the top flight.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ll be interested to see how he does,” said the Tottenham boss. “I think for the first month or two in the Premier League he’ll be sensational - then we’ll find out if can maintain it. But he’ll start with a bang, I’m sure.”
Taarabt’s performances for QPR have caused some Spurs fans to question Redknapp’s decision to sell the unpredictable livewire - but the Tottenham manager has no regrets.
- 1 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 4 Covid cases drop in Hackney for the first time since May
- 5 Eggslut food truck to bring 'edible breakfast cloud' to Shoreditch
- 6 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 7 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 8 Two new sixth forms planned for Islington and Hackney
- 9 Midfielder Ouss Cisse confirms Leyton Orient departure
- 10 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
“He [Taarabt] played in pre-season with us in New York last summer,” he recalled. “I played him in midfield there with Luka Modric – and Luka’s still recovering from it.”
Follow me on twitter @benpearcespurs
For all the latest transfer news and rumours from all London sides log on to our live transfer window at http://www.london24.com/sport/other/transfer-news