It was ‘mixed emotions’ for Mourinho as Lloris returns for Spurs
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Tottenham Hotspur head coach Jose Mourinho admitted the return of captain Hugo Lloris was full of mixed emotions.
The Frenchman started their 2-1 victory over Norwich City after the boss decided to include him earlier than expected after a long injury lay-off.
The World Cup winner damaged ligaments in his elbow in a 3-0 defeat at Brighton back in October and has been sidelined ever since.
But making that decision did mean Mourinho had to drop Paulo Gazzaniga to the bench.
"The return of Hugo is mixed emotions for me. It's happiness to see one of the best goalkeepers in the world to be back.
You may also want to watch:
"It's a very good feeling for us but at the same time it is one of these decisions that sometimes we must have it, but it hurts. To leave Paulo out hurts.
"The good thing is that he is such a good member of the family and he is such a special friend of Hugo that I think he also shared our happiness to have Hugo back as a friend.
- 1 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 2 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 3 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 4 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 5 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 6 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 7 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 8 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 9 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 10 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
"For me he gave me a lot of thinking and I had to try to be cold to make a decision without emotions because to leave Paolo out is not easy."