Spurs boss reveals Andros Townsend asked to play for the Under-21s
Mauricio Pochettino has revealed Andros Townsend asked to play for Tottenham’s Under-21s on Monday, and has praised the winger’s attitude.
Townsend has not appeared for Spurs’ first team since the 2-1 defeat to Anderlecht in Brussels on October 22, and he was recently dropped from the squad for two matches after an altercation with fitness coach Nathan Gardiner following the home win over Aston Villa on November 2, when he was an unused substitute.
The 24-year-old was again left out of the matchday squad for Sunday’s London derby against Chelsea, and eyebrows were raised when he was selected for an Under-21 Premier League fixture away against Middlesbrough on Monday afternoon.
But Pochettino said: “It’s not an issue with Andros. He was on the bench in some games and was out of the squad against Chelsea and he asked to play for the Under-21s against Middlesbrough. He asked to play.
“It’s a very good thing because the player was out and didn’t play for many weeks and it was a good opportunity.
You may also want to watch:
“For me it’s a very good attitude to want to play for the Under-21s and keep working hard and keep his physical levels and condition up.
“He’s still young and he has a big future in football, here or at another club. Always you need to learn in football.”
- 1 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 2 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 3 'I think religion is a way for people to live meaningfully together': New Rabbi embraces Stoke Newington
- 4 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 5 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 6 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this Halloween weekend
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 9 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 10 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs