Spurs boss reveals Andros Townsend asked to play for the Under-21s
Mauricio Pochettino has revealed Andros Townsend asked to play for Tottenham’s Under-21s on Monday, and has praised the winger’s attitude.
Townsend has not appeared for Spurs’ first team since the 2-1 defeat to Anderlecht in Brussels on October 22, and he was recently dropped from the squad for two matches after an altercation with fitness coach Nathan Gardiner following the home win over Aston Villa on November 2, when he was an unused substitute.
The 24-year-old was again left out of the matchday squad for Sunday’s London derby against Chelsea, and eyebrows were raised when he was selected for an Under-21 Premier League fixture away against Middlesbrough on Monday afternoon.
But Pochettino said: “It’s not an issue with Andros. He was on the bench in some games and was out of the squad against Chelsea and he asked to play for the Under-21s against Middlesbrough. He asked to play.
“It’s a very good thing because the player was out and didn’t play for many weeks and it was a good opportunity.
You may also want to watch:
“For me it’s a very good attitude to want to play for the Under-21s and keep working hard and keep his physical levels and condition up.
“He’s still young and he has a big future in football, here or at another club. Always you need to learn in football.”
- 1 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 2 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 3 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 4 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 5 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 6 Huge new charity kitchen aims to produce 100,000 meals east London people this summer
- 7 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 8 Letter against the use of e-scooters on roads
- 9 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 10 Meet the Wonder Warriors – the charity helping women with endometriosis
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs