Spurs boss speaks out on transfer rumours
Transfer news: Andre Villas-Boas says it is “extremely unlikely” that Tottenham will sign Brazil forward Leandro Damiao, and he maintains that Lewis Holtby will not arrive until the summer.
Spurs have been long-term admirers of Internacional striker Damiao and have been rumoured to planning another move in the January transfer window – but Villas-Boas says the club will struggle to get their man.
“He is a player that we have always appreciated at this club,” said the head coach. “It is extremely difficult that he is going to join Tottenham. He is a player that is highly rated in the market and it is extremely unlikely that he will play for Tottenham.”
Spurs have already agreed a deal to sign Schalke’s Lewis Holtby on a free transfer in the summer.
There have been suggestions that the Lilywhites could bring the 22-year-old to White Hart Lane this month on a cut-price deal, but Villas-Boas says Tottenham are currently intending to stick to their original plan.
You may also want to watch:
“When you reach an agreement with a player that is a free transfer in the summer, there is always that possibility,” he said. “The club can see it as a way to profit during the January transfer window.
“But we have an extremely balanced squad and we are not looking to further strengthen our midfield at the moment.
- 1 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 4 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 7 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 8 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
“Lewis is a player of tremendous potential that we are extremely happy to have. He has been tremendously educated in his football, he has lots of experience for a young player and is the Germany Under-21 captain.
“But it is not the right moment to bring him in. It is not impossible but it is not something we are looking to do.”
Villas-Boas also ruled out a move for Montpellier’s Younes Belhanda, and stated that a QPR move for William Gallas, which has been rumoured, would be “impossible”.
However, the Spurs supremo conceded that Jake Livermore could be allowed to leave on loan.
“We are aware that we have a big squad, “said Villas-Boas. “There are a couple of possibilities for Jake to get a loan deal.
“We are pretty happy with how he trains and how professional he has been, but he hasn’t had a lot of [playing] time since we have found consistency in the 4-4-2 formation – and that system makes it even more difficult for a couple of players to get in.
“We aren’t sure if it’s going to happen, but he is aware of these conversations. We just have to wait and see.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs