Spurs boss: There are many ways to achieve success but you must believe in your plan
Mauricio Pochettino says there are many ways to run a football club and create a successful team, but the key is to show absolute belief in your plan to inspire confidence around you.
While the Premier League’s richest clubs have tended to come out on top over the years, Leicester City are currently leading the table while Tottenham are third, having declined to add any senior players to their squad during the January transfer window.
Pochettino explained yesterday that Spurs are entering “a very tough period” and that the construction of their £400million stadium will continue to affect their spending power. However, he maintains the club can be successful if they are confident and united in their strategy.
“We grow up in this business that we call football and my quote is always ‘football is not an ordinary business’,” said Pochettino. “That is very important.
“You can spend a lot of money and create a big team and win everything. But sometimes you can maybe not spend too much money. If you are clever how you sign [players] and how you mix the pieces, you can build a big team too.
You may also want to watch:
“For me, this is the most important thing – to be clever and try to discover the best way to get success. That is different in different clubs in different cultures in different countries.
“It is a lot of the topic of football – there is not only one truth, there are 100 or 1,000 truths in football and everyone has his truth.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 7 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
“It’s difficult to fight with that and, at the end, if you get success you have the truth. If not the people kill you, if you take some decisions against the normal way that all the people think, or have thought in their minds.”
Pochettino continued: “You need to believe in the way that you take, the way you want to manage and what your project is.
“If you believe, you can translate your belief. If not, if you don’t believe and you do what everybody wants you to do, it is difficult because if you have no feeling for the way that you work and the way you translate the message, it’s impossible that the people – the players in this case, or the chairman and supporters – will believe in you.
“If you believe and people can see that you believe, in that moment you start to win the battle.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs