Spurs can prove a point against Manchester City, says Bentaleb
Tottenham have a good opportunity to prove they can compete against the Premier League’s elite sides next season when they host Manchester City on Sunday, says Nabil Bentaleb.
While Spurs have beaten Chelsea and Arsenal in 2015, they have lost their last three games against Manuel Pellegrini’s City by an aggregate score of 15-2.
With little to play for in their final four games, Tottenham’s thoughts are already turning to the next campaign and, after a transitional season, Mauricio Pochettino is targeting the top four in 2015/16.
Spurs face a tough task to overhaul their wealthier rivals, and City are likely to spend again this summer.
However, Bentaleb feels Sunday’s showdown at White Hart Lane gives the Lilywhites the chance to end their run of heavy defeats against Pellegrini’s side, while making a point about their intentions and potential for next season.
“They’re a really good team, we can’t lie about this, everyone knows,” said the Algerian. “But now we have shown we can compete with those big teams and let’s go and prove it again on Sunday. We have a good opportunity to show that to everyone.
“We know it’s really hard playing against those big teams but we have the quality to beat them and to get the three points. We will see on Sunday but we will go all out.
- 1 Kids join police as 20 speed tickets given out
- 2 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 3 Demolition begins to make way for Hoxton homes
- 4 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 5 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 6 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 7 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 8 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 9 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 10 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
“Every time you step on the pitch you play to win but those big games are very good to show everyone what you can do. We have a big opportunity this weekend and hopefully we will do it.
“It’s one of our last games at home this season and we want to send our fans home happy, and we will try our best to do this.
“We always want to finish as high as we can. Our fans want us to push even more and the attitude in the changing room is always pushing ourselves to go as high as we can.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs