Spurs confident of signing Brazil striker as talks progress
Tottenham are in advanced negotiations with Internacional over the signing of Brazil forward Leandro Damiao, and are now confident that it is only a matter of time before they get their man.
An initial �10million bid was rejected earlier this month, but it is believed that Inter have since accepted an improved offer in the region of �12m for the 21-year-old.
Complications in the ongoing talks include the fact that, like Sandro last year, Internacional only own 70 per cent of Damiao’s rights, with the rest being owned by third parties.
The Brazilian club are also in the middle of their season and are keen to keep their striker as long as possible.
Again, that issue also arose when Tottenham signed Sandro, who did not arrive at White Hart Lane until September last year – more than five months after his transfer was agreed – after the midfielder stayed with Inter to win the Copa Libertadores.
You may also want to watch:
That competition will not be a problem this year because Inter were eliminated in the last 16 in May, but the club are still reluctant to lose a key player at this stage of the domestic campaign.
Damiao, who appeared for Brazil in a friendly against Holland earlier this month, was omitted from his country’s Copa America squad last week.
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 3 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 4 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Hackney author speaks out against stop and search
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
However, he scored a late equaliser for Inter in a 2-2 draw with Palmeiras on Sunday, taking his tally to five goals in nine club appearances this season.
A deal for Damiao could end Tottenham’s long-standing interest in Connor Wickham, the 18-year-old Ipswich forward who is currently with England at the European Under-21 Championships.
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs