Spurs defender on the way out after no-show for season finale
Sebastien Bassong edged closer to the exit door on Sunday after the Cameroon international was omitted from the 18-man squad against Birmingham – and failed to appear for the end-of-season lap of honour.
The defender’s no-show contrasted with the appearances of William Gallas and Steven Pienaar, who were not involved in the squad for the final game of the season either, but still joined their team-mates for the ceremonial circuit of the pitch.
Bassong looks almost certain to leave Tottenham after the �8million ex-Newcastle defender publicly voiced his frustration and his desire to quit the north Londoners last week.
And, while Harry Redknapp concedes that the 24-year-old has been unfortunate this season, the manager admits that Bassong’s situation at Tottenham is unlikely to improve.
“Seb’s been unlucky. He came in last year and he did a great job for us,” said Redknapp. “I brought William Gallas in this year and William has been outstanding with Michael Dawson, so it’s been difficult for Seb. He might be a lad who has to move to play regularly, but he could play anywhere. He’s a top player.”
You may also want to watch:
Bassong will be racing Niko Kranjcar to leave White Hart Lane, after Redknapp gave the the Croatian midfielder a nine-minute farewell substitute appearance against Birmingham on Sunday.
The manager and player did not look at each other as Kranjcar was introduced, fuelling talk that their relationship has broken down this season.
- 1 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 2 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 3 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 4 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 5 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 6 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 7 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 8 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 9 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared
But Redknapp insists that he will miss the player who he bought from his former club Portsmouth in 2009.
“Niko’s a fantastic player and he’s a great guy as well so he would be a big loss for me for sure,” he said. “I haven’t got anybody that I’ve got problems with. They’re all good lads, there’s no-one I look at and think ‘I’ll be glad to see the back of him’.”