Vertonghen knows he has more left in the tank as contract runs down at Spurs
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Jan Vertonghen believes he can offer Tottenham a couple of more years at the top of the game as he searches for a new contract.
The Belgium international is in the last year of his current deal and a new one has yet to be agreed.
Even at 32, Vertonghen reckons he has plenty to give, but would not confirm whether negotiations on a new contract are ongoing.
"I would prefer not to go too deep into that (contract talks), but there is always some movement," he said, speaking ahead of Tuesday's Champions League Group B clash with Bayern Munich.
"It is my eighth season here, I have had a great past and I am feeling great at the moment in every single way here, that is all I want to say about that.
You may also want to watch:
"I am very aware of my age but my body is not because I am feeling good and I feel fairly young, it doesn't distract me, I want to play as many games as I can at the highest level.
"I am very ambitious, I feel like I have a couple of good years left in me. I hope I can help the team for as long as I can."
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
- 8 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 9 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 10 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
Boss Mauricio Pochettino left Vertonghen out of the side for the first three games of the season, though insisted that had nothing to do with the contract situation.
Vertonghen has always been one of Pochettino's main men during the last six years and that has not changed.
"I am open to everything, but that is a dealing between the club, him and his agent," Pochettino said.
"Let's see what happens. Jan after five years that we are all together, is always an important part of my project.
"That feeling isn't going to change."
Vertonghen's ability to perform at the highest level will be tested when Bayern visit.