Vertonghen knows he has more left in the tank as contract runs down at Spurs
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Jan Vertonghen believes he can offer Tottenham a couple of more years at the top of the game as he searches for a new contract.
The Belgium international is in the last year of his current deal and a new one has yet to be agreed.
Even at 32, Vertonghen reckons he has plenty to give, but would not confirm whether negotiations on a new contract are ongoing.
"I would prefer not to go too deep into that (contract talks), but there is always some movement," he said, speaking ahead of Tuesday's Champions League Group B clash with Bayern Munich.
"It is my eighth season here, I have had a great past and I am feeling great at the moment in every single way here, that is all I want to say about that.
You may also want to watch:
"I am very aware of my age but my body is not because I am feeling good and I feel fairly young, it doesn't distract me, I want to play as many games as I can at the highest level.
"I am very ambitious, I feel like I have a couple of good years left in me. I hope I can help the team for as long as I can."
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 6 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 7 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Hackney postal voters urged to reapply after cyber-attack
Boss Mauricio Pochettino left Vertonghen out of the side for the first three games of the season, though insisted that had nothing to do with the contract situation.
Vertonghen has always been one of Pochettino's main men during the last six years and that has not changed.
"I am open to everything, but that is a dealing between the club, him and his agent," Pochettino said.
"Let's see what happens. Jan after five years that we are all together, is always an important part of my project.
"That feeling isn't going to change."
Vertonghen's ability to perform at the highest level will be tested when Bayern visit.