Spurs keeper: We’re going for another away win in Madrid
HEURELHO Gomes is warning Real Madrid that Tottenham have not come to Spain to simply stay in the tie and keep the score down.
Spurs have beaten Inter Milan and AC Milan already in this season’s Champions League, and Gomes insists that the Lilywhites are focused on victory again at the Bernabeu tonight – just like their 1-0 win over Milan at the San Siro in the last 16.
“We know we have a great squad and a great team. We can go there and win, we’re not just going there to play one more important game,” said Gomes.
“We know we can win the game, and play at the same level as Madrid. When we’re at a stage like this everyone needs to know how good we are at the moment. I think it’s going to be a big game and a big night for us.
“It’s going to be massive for the players, for the club, for the fans. This is a game that everyone wants to play in. It’s not easy in play in games like this, but the confidence here is so strong and we know how to play Champions League football now.
“I think we play better in a game like this than against other opposition. We just have to play with confidence and play our game.”
Gomes admits that Tottenham have come a long way since he arrived at the club and played in the Spurs team that took two points from eight games under Juande Ramos in 2008.
- 1 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 2 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 3 Demolition begins to make way for Hoxton homes
- 4 Kids join police as 20 speed tickets given out
- 5 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 6 12 stolen phones recovered after stop and search in Hackney
- 7 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 8 Travel bulletin: Islington, Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham
- 9 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 10 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
“This makes us very proud, to be here,” said Gomes. “I think the club are going the right way to win trophies, and when you want to win trophies you need to play against big teams like Real Madrid.
“We’ve worked so hard for it, and I think we really deserve it because we’ve played well for the last two years. We need to keep going and focus on that and try to put Tottenham as high as we can.
“It’s not just for us, it’s also going to be a massive game for the fans. When I first came here no-one was thinking about this, going to the Bernabeu and watching this game, and I now I think they’re very happy for it because the team has given them something different – something away from England as well.
“The Champions League is a massive competition, I know that from my time at PSV Eindhoven as well. It’s a different atmosphere and I think we can look forward to that.”
You can see the full interview with Gomes on Spurs TV Online.