Spurs launch investigation as Red Star fans illegally enter stadium
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Tottenham Hotspur have launched a full investigation into how a large group of Red Star Belgrade fans got into their Champions League clash on Tuesday night.
UEFA banned Red Star supporters from attending after being found guilty of racist abuse in a qualifying game in Finland in July.
However, over 200 supporters "illegally" got into the top tier of the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium and congregated in the North Stand before making themselves heard by chanting.
Stewards were forced to segregate them from home fans as there were too many to eject.
A club spokesman said: "Red Star supporters illegally obtained individual tickets on Level 5 and made their way around to one section of the stadium in order to congregate as a group.
You may also want to watch:
"Stewards and police contained the group as it was too large a number to eject.
"We have launched a full investigation in order to understand how tickets have been acquired.
- 1 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 2 Panel finds gross misconduct proven against Pc arrested on suspicion of drug dealing
- 3 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 4 ‘People hit the deck’ - Londoners stunned by fighter jet flyover
- 5 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 6 Aldi Local to open in Dalston next month
- 7 Planet Organic to open in Broadway Market despite thousands of signatures in protest
- 8 TfL told to introduce 'pay per mile' charge to motorists
- 9 Met officer cleared over moped rider's death during Stoke Newington chase
- 10 Police officers save lives in two sperate emergencies on same shift
"We shall take the strongest possible action against any individual found to have sold their ticket on."
UEFA has told the PA news agency that they will wait for a report from the delegate at the ground before deciding whether to investigate.
The ban on away fans impacted Tottenham's ability to sell more tickets as they were not allowed to put any on general sale.