Spurs midfielder to be assessed today after injury
Sandro will be assessed by Tottenham staff today after suffering a knee injury on international duty, with the midfielder expecting an operation which could rule him out of the start of the season.
The 22-year-old Brazil star ruptured the meniscus in his right knee while training at the Copa America and, having returned to Spurs, he admits that he is likely to need surgery.
“It is a problem that I have been feeling for some time,” said Sandro. “It has been troubling me more recently because it has stopped me practising.
“The examination found that I have to have surgery. Unfortunately for me the injury happened now, at an important moment of my career, but I will have the surgery and try to recover soon.”
Sandro could now be sidelined for more than a month, making him a major doubt for the busy start to the new campaign.
Spurs face five games in the first 16 days of the season, which kicks off against Everton on Saturday August 13.
Sandro’s injury may force Tottenham to step up their search for midfield reinforcements, particularly when they are planning to offload Wilson Palacios.
- 1 ‘Messy, blundering, inconsiderate’ - Hackney mayor slams police over Dalston op violence
- 2 Appeal: CCTV image released after mosque attacked with bottles
- 3 By-election after Hackney Labour councillor resigns
- 4 All you need to know about Hackney Half and Hackney Moves
- 5 Two teenagers charged after 12 phones nicked in stealing spree
- 6 Jailed: North London members of Essex drugs supply network
- 7 'Time for change': Hackney Mayor on re-election plans
- 8 Kids join police as 20 speed tickets given out
- 9 Demolition begins to make way for Hoxton homes
- 10 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
However, while the Lilywhites have previously been interested in Scott Parker, it is understood that Tottenham have abandoned their chase for West Ham’s talisman, and will not be bidding for the 30-year-old.
Spurs are believed to be interested in Real Madrid midfielder Esteban Granero, a Spanish playmaker who can also operate behind the strikers.
The 24-year-old made 24 appearances for the Galacticos last season, and appeared in the 1-0 win over Spurs in the second leg of the Champions League quarter-final.
Sandro has missed Tottenham’s pre-season tour of South Africa, as has Ledley King, who underwent an arthroscopy to clean up his right knee on Monday.
Follow me on twitter @benpearcespurs