Spurs midfielder to be assessed today after injury
Sandro will be assessed by Tottenham staff today after suffering a knee injury on international duty, with the midfielder expecting an operation which could rule him out of the start of the season.
The 22-year-old Brazil star ruptured the meniscus in his right knee while training at the Copa America and, having returned to Spurs, he admits that he is likely to need surgery.
“It is a problem that I have been feeling for some time,” said Sandro. “It has been troubling me more recently because it has stopped me practising.
“The examination found that I have to have surgery. Unfortunately for me the injury happened now, at an important moment of my career, but I will have the surgery and try to recover soon.”
Sandro could now be sidelined for more than a month, making him a major doubt for the busy start to the new campaign.
You may also want to watch:
Spurs face five games in the first 16 days of the season, which kicks off against Everton on Saturday August 13.
Sandro’s injury may force Tottenham to step up their search for midfield reinforcements, particularly when they are planning to offload Wilson Palacios.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 10 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
However, while the Lilywhites have previously been interested in Scott Parker, it is understood that Tottenham have abandoned their chase for West Ham’s talisman, and will not be bidding for the 30-year-old.
Spurs are believed to be interested in Real Madrid midfielder Esteban Granero, a Spanish playmaker who can also operate behind the strikers.
The 24-year-old made 24 appearances for the Galacticos last season, and appeared in the 1-0 win over Spurs in the second leg of the Champions League quarter-final.
Sandro has missed Tottenham’s pre-season tour of South Africa, as has Ledley King, who underwent an arthroscopy to clean up his right knee on Monday.
Follow me on twitter @benpearcespurs