Spurs only need to sign one striker, says Pochettino
Mauricio Pochettino says Tottenham only need to sign one striker this summer, and has refused to comment on speculation that Cameroon international Clinton N’Jie is on his way to White Hart Lane.
With Roberto Soldado seemingly heading out of the club and Emmanuel Adebayor not in Mauricio Pochettino’s plans, Harry Kane was the only striker in the squad for the opening game of the season at Manchester United on Saturday.
Pochettino concedes the Lilywhites need to bolster their options up front but is not intending to sign more than one striker.
“I think one more, and we have different players that can play like a striker and we have different offensive players that can play in different options,” said Pochettino. “But I think we don’t need to bring in too many players.
“It is true [we are looking for another striker] but we are working to take the right profile, the right player. We don’t take a rash decision, we wait for the good opportunity to bring [someone] in.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m very happy with the way we take. I think we’ve brought in some players that we need, and now obviously we try to bring in some players in offensive situations. But I’m very happy with the club and with the way we work.”
Lyon forward N’Jie is thought to be high on Tottenham’s list of transfer targets, and it has been reported that Spurs are hoping to tie up a deal before Stoke visit the Lane on Saturday – but Pochettino declined to discuss the reports.
- 1 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 2 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 3 Jailed: Cyclist who rode off after fatal collision with 'gentleman', 72
- 4 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 5 'No further action' after officer knelt on neck of Black suspect in Finsbury Park
- 6 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 7 Turner Prize winning artist holds exhibition in his former Hackney school
- 8 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 9 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
“[There have been] a lot of names, but we have only signed three players,” he said. “I think we are the team, with Arsenal, that has brought the least players in.
“I am very happy with the way that we are and the way that we take - no worries. We have a very good team - a very young squad but with good balance.
“You know there is a lot of rumours and when something happens the club announces at that moment.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs