Spurs foursome help England seal third in Nations League
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Harry Kane, Dele Alli, Eric Dier and Danny Rose started for Three Lions in the shoot-out win over Switzerland
Eric Dier was successful again for England from 12-yards as Gareth Southgate's men won another penalty shoot-out, this time to finish third in the Nations League.
Spurs had four players involved from the off against Switzerland with Harry Kane captaining the side and Dele Alli and Danny Rose joining Dier in the starting XI.
The Three Lions had plenty of chances to win, but the clash in Portugal went to extra-time and then finally penalties.
By this point, Kane and Rose had been substituted, but Dier - now captain - stepped up in the shoot-out and, like against Colombia in the World Cup, found the net and it helped England triumph 6-5 and clinch third in the inaugural tournament.
Elsewhere, Cameron Carter-Vickers didn't feature for the United States in their 3-0 defeat against Venezuela on Sunday.
Another young defender, Davinson Sanchez, was on the right side of that scoreline as he played 90 minutes for Colombia in their comprehensive success over Peru.
- 1 Two Jewish men hospitalised day before Holocaust Memorial Day
- 2 Eight drivers arrested and 22 vehicles seized in Stoke Newington crackdown
- 3 Teenager charged after Jewish men attacked in Stamford Hill
- 4 Wanted man may be in Hackney
- 5 Afghan refugee family rehomed in Hackney
- 6 Boy, 15, rushed to hospital after stabbing in Harringay Sainsbury's carpark
- 7 'Major victory': Ridley Road Shopping Village's future secured
- 8 Seven north London gastropubs voted best in UK
- 9 'Was she rank?': Met apologises for language used during Hackney strip search
- 10 'We are trying to shift a culture': ending harassment of Hackney school pupils
A day earlier, on Saturday, several other Tottenham Hotspur players had featured for their country in international games.
Hugo Lloris and Moussa Sissoko were unable to prevent World Cup holders France going down 2-0 away to Turkey in a Euro 2020 qualifier.
It was better news for Jan Vertonghen and Toby Alderweireld, who helped Belgium keep a clean sheet in a comfortable Euro 2020 qualifier 3-0 win over Kazakhstan.
Spurs youngster Anthony Georgiou played for Cyprus away to Scotland in another Euro 2020 qualifier and assisted the equaliser, but the hosts found a late winner to clinch a 2-1 victory.
Ben Davies also suffered defeat by the same scoreline as Wales lost at Croatia with the left-back playing the whole of the Euro 2020 qualifier.
On Friday, Heung-min Son captained South Korea to a 1-0 win over Australia in a friendly encounter while Victor Wanyama, another to skipper his country, scored from the penalty spot to help Kenya see off Madagascar 1-0.
Christian Eriksen was left frustrated with Denmark only able to draw 1-1 on home turf against the Republic of Ireland in a Euro 2020 qualifier, but he will aim to help them bounce back tonight in another key fixture, this time at home to Georgia.
Argentinian Juan Foyth started the 5-1 win over Nicaragua in a friendly and Serge Aurier also captained his country, Ivory Coast, in their 3-1 success over Comoros on a busy weekend of football for Tottenham's international stars.