Spurs boss Pochettino pleased to keep Champions League chances alive
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino is pleased with the effort shown from his side to fight back and nick a 2-1 win against PSV in the Champions League.
Two goals from Harry Kane in the final 13 minutes kept alive Tottenham Hotspur’s chances of progressing through Champions League Group B as runners-up with their late heroics at Wembley Stadium.
Spurs trailed after two minutes as Gaston Pereiro swung the set-piece in and PSV captain Luuk de Jong was on hand to power a header past Paulo Gazzaniga and into the corner.
“I’m so pleased. The effort after what was our fourth game in nine days,” the 46-year-old said.
“I am so pleased with the effort, because to concede again an early goal, we cannot score.
“Their keeper was fantastic and again a lack of being clinical in front of goal.
“It was in the end the team fighting and making a fantastic effort.
- 1 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 2 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 3 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 4 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 5 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
- 6 Stoke Newington: Pret 'sorry' after staff tell indy café 'we'll steal your customers'
- 7 Jailed: Hackney man sentenced for fatal hit-and-run
- 8 Teenage girls arrested after incident in Kingsland High Street
- 9 Speeding driver who killed elderly man in hit and run found guilty
- 10 Hackney man wanted by Surrey Police
“But in the end I think we found the reward and the team never gave up and showed big character and personality.
“I’m so pleased with everything, not only the effort of the performance, I think how we played in the opposite half, trying to be patient and not taking rash decisions and not make a mistake, yes the team played well. I am so pleased.”
The Argentinean says conceding early isn’t a concern although it will be spoke about and worked on after it becoming a problem in recent weeks.
“Barcelona conceded in the last minute against Inter Milan. That’s football. It can happen.
“It’s true that it was an action that we conceded a corner and it comes in and it can happen.
“I think it’s not some reason that you can work on, it’s to be focused and try from the beginning, be aggressive, not concede this type of action like a corner in the first action.
“Many things sometimes happen, in the last few games for us like Manchester City and Barcelona, it happens a lot.”
“Of course we are going to talk about that.
“But sometimes when you talk about something you increase the percentage that it’s going to happen again you know? That balance sometimes is difficult.
“But it’s so important to accept that we need to improve in that area and cannot concede such a cheap goal or action that is so poor like to concede that corner.
“Then the corner is coming and always it’s a challenge and you can concede.”