Spurs complete the signing of Portuguese youngster Fernandes from Benfica
- Credit: Archant
Tottenham Hotspur have signed youngster Gedson Fernandes on an 18-month loan deal from Benfica with an option to make the transfer permanent.
The 21-year-old midfielder becomes head coach Jose Mourinho's first signings as Spurs boss and will wear the number 30 shirt for the remainder of this season.
A product of the Benfica academy, Fernandes made his first team debut last season and was named the Primeira Liga's Best Young Player of the Month for August.
He went on to finish the season as a league champion, making 22 appearances as The Eagles secured their 37th Primeira Liga title.
In total, he has made 53 appearances in all competitions for Benfica, scoring three times.
You may also want to watch:
On the international stage, he has made more than 50 appearances for Portugal, representing his country at every age group from under-15 upwards, including winning two caps for the senior team to date.
He was also a member of the Portugal side that won the UEFA European Under-17 Championship in 2016.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 9 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
- 10 Woman arrested over London Fields shooting that left innocent bystander paralysed