Spurs complete the signing of Portuguese youngster Fernandes from Benfica
- Credit: Archant
Tottenham Hotspur have signed youngster Gedson Fernandes on an 18-month loan deal from Benfica with an option to make the transfer permanent.
The 21-year-old midfielder becomes head coach Jose Mourinho's first signings as Spurs boss and will wear the number 30 shirt for the remainder of this season.
A product of the Benfica academy, Fernandes made his first team debut last season and was named the Primeira Liga's Best Young Player of the Month for August.
He went on to finish the season as a league champion, making 22 appearances as The Eagles secured their 37th Primeira Liga title.
In total, he has made 53 appearances in all competitions for Benfica, scoring three times.
On the international stage, he has made more than 50 appearances for Portugal, representing his country at every age group from under-15 upwards, including winning two caps for the senior team to date.
He was also a member of the Portugal side that won the UEFA European Under-17 Championship in 2016.
- 1 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 2 Covid patient numbers at Homerton Hospital with Plan B rules set to lift
- 3 Four Hackney and Islington properties with amazing skyline views
- 4 Haggerston celebrates the Chinese Lunar New Year
- 5 'Catastrophic consequences': Hundreds of unvaccinated could lose work at Homerton Hospital
- 6 Shoreditch floral café blooms at new premises in Bethnal Green
- 7 How often do Londoners cycle to work in each borough?
- 8 Artisan coffee house opens in Angel Central following £16m refurbishment
- 9 Upper Clapton college celebrates recovery after glowing Ofsted report
- 10 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs