Spurs complete the signing of Portuguese youngster Fernandes from Benfica
- Credit: Archant
Tottenham Hotspur have signed youngster Gedson Fernandes on an 18-month loan deal from Benfica with an option to make the transfer permanent.
The 21-year-old midfielder becomes head coach Jose Mourinho's first signings as Spurs boss and will wear the number 30 shirt for the remainder of this season.
A product of the Benfica academy, Fernandes made his first team debut last season and was named the Primeira Liga's Best Young Player of the Month for August.
He went on to finish the season as a league champion, making 22 appearances as The Eagles secured their 37th Primeira Liga title.
In total, he has made 53 appearances in all competitions for Benfica, scoring three times.
You may also want to watch:
On the international stage, he has made more than 50 appearances for Portugal, representing his country at every age group from under-15 upwards, including winning two caps for the senior team to date.
He was also a member of the Portugal side that won the UEFA European Under-17 Championship in 2016.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 4 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 7 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 8 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 9 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 10 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers