Spurs complete the signing of Portuguese youngster Fernandes from Benfica
- Credit: Archant
Tottenham Hotspur have signed youngster Gedson Fernandes on an 18-month loan deal from Benfica with an option to make the transfer permanent.
The 21-year-old midfielder becomes head coach Jose Mourinho's first signings as Spurs boss and will wear the number 30 shirt for the remainder of this season.
A product of the Benfica academy, Fernandes made his first team debut last season and was named the Primeira Liga's Best Young Player of the Month for August.
He went on to finish the season as a league champion, making 22 appearances as The Eagles secured their 37th Primeira Liga title.
In total, he has made 53 appearances in all competitions for Benfica, scoring three times.
You may also want to watch:
On the international stage, he has made more than 50 appearances for Portugal, representing his country at every age group from under-15 upwards, including winning two caps for the senior team to date.
He was also a member of the Portugal side that won the UEFA European Under-17 Championship in 2016.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Newington Green's Meeting House to stream concert series for Mary Wollstonecraft's 262nd Birthday
- 8 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 9 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 10 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space