Spurs signing Friedel reveals why he chose Tottenham over Liverpool
Brad Friedel is intent on grabbing the No1 shirt at Tottenham after admitting that he would “effectively be signing his retirement” if he had returned to Liverpool.
The 40-year-old American joined Spurs on a free transfer last week, signing a two-year deal with the Lilywhites after leaving Aston Villa as a free agent.
Friedel concedes that Tottenham’s ambition was a big attraction – and he has also revealed that the lure of working with Harry Redknapp and plying his trade at White Hart Lane were big factors in his decision.
“I hope to be in the starting 11 but that’s down to Harry,” he said. “What I am going to do is do my bit during the off season and turn up to pre-season as fit as I possibly can, and hopefully be the number one.
“I like what I heard coming out of Tottenham, they are a club on the up, and it’s well documented that had I moved to Liverpool it would have been as a number two.
You may also want to watch:
“I just felt that if I was sign anywhere as a number two that would effectively be signing my retirement.
“Tottenham is one of the favourite grounds that players like to play at. Everyone always enjoys the atmosphere at White Hart Lane and I’m really looking forward to it.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 4 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 5 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 6 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
- 9 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 10 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
“Harry Redknapp was a big reason for me to come here as well. I played with Jamie [Redknapp] years and years ago and have always got along well with Harry.
“I didn’t sign anywhere for the money, I signed to play and the chance to compete for my place with the exciting players. I really feel Tottenham have the chance to get into that top four.”