Spurs star: I wouldn’t swap Harry Kane for any of the world’s strikers
Toby Alderweireld says he wouldn’t swap his Tottenham team-mate Harry Kane for any of the world’s strikers.
Kane’s brace in Tuesday’s 3-0 win at Norwich took his tally to 17 goals in 20 games.
Asked if the 22-year-old is now at the level of the best forwards in the game, Alderweireld said: “It’s difficult to say because I don’t work with the other guys. I’ve watched them of course but it’s different to play with them.
“I think now, at the moment, I don’t want any other striker than H. We’re very confident in him, he works very hard for the team as well and that’s something we need. He’s scoring goals and he keeps the ball for us. He’s doing very well so I’m happy for him.
“I think H is very important to us. But every player’s important because if somebody is not at the level that he has to be it’s going to be difficult. I think H made the difference for us [at Norwich] because everybody worked very hard for him.”
You may also want to watch:
Tottenham are now preparing to host Watford, who signed midfielder Mario Suarez from Fiorentina during the January transfer window.
Suarez and Alderweireld played together at Atletico Madrid and were part of the squad that won the La Liga title and reached the Champions League final in 2014.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 7 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 8 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
The Spurs defender said: “I think he’s a good player, he always gives 100 per cent for the team. He’s got good technique, he reads the game very well so I think he’s a very good player for Watford.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs