Spurs team news: Alderweireld set to face Liverpool but Vertonghen and Lamela are doubts
Mauricio Pochettino expects Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld to be fit to face Liverpool on Saturday after recovering from a stomach bug, but Jan Vertonghen and Erik Lamela are doubts.
Alderweireld withdrew from the Belgium squad earlier this week due to a stomach bug, missing Tuesday’s international fixture against Portugal – but Pochettino hopes he will available for this weekend’s trip to Anfield.
“He’s ok, he trained in the last two days in a very good way,” said the head coach. “We need to assess him tomorrow but we hope he will arrive in a very good condition to compete on Saturday.”
Lamela suffered an injury during his time away with Argentina and Pochettino said:
“We need to assess him because he arrived this morning from Argentina – a very long way after a long travel - and he suffered some issue in Argentina. Now we need to assess him and see tomorrow if he’s available.”
Vertonghen had been targeting the end of the international break for his return from a knee injury, which has ruled him out since January 23, but he may have to wait until next Sunday’s home game against Manchester United.
“Vertonghen is very very close,” said Pochettino. “If it’s not possible this week then maybe for the next week he’s available to be selected.
- 1 Guilty: Man lured 2 young girls into garage and sexually abused them
- 2 Patrick Anzy: Three men jailed following Gillett Square murder
- 3 Boy, 15, charged with attempted murder of woman out riding bike
- 4 Inside east London's new £30m Olympic-size ice centre
- 5 Police officer sacked for 'turning blind eye’ to criminal husband
- 6 Boy charged with 3 offences after series of Hackney Marshes sex assaults
- 7 Hackney woman in court over 'chasing down' BBC journalist at lockdown rally
- 8 Hackney festival celebrating Turkish and Kurdish culture returns
- 9 Boy, 16, in custody after spate of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes
- 10 Wanted: Suspect sought after series of sexual assaults in Hackney Marshes area
“Clinton [N’Jie] is a little bit further away but he’s in a good way. Maybe we expect a little bit more time than Jan.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs