Spurs team news: Alderweireld set to face Liverpool but Vertonghen and Lamela are doubts
Mauricio Pochettino expects Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld to be fit to face Liverpool on Saturday after recovering from a stomach bug, but Jan Vertonghen and Erik Lamela are doubts.
Alderweireld withdrew from the Belgium squad earlier this week due to a stomach bug, missing Tuesday’s international fixture against Portugal – but Pochettino hopes he will available for this weekend’s trip to Anfield.
“He’s ok, he trained in the last two days in a very good way,” said the head coach. “We need to assess him tomorrow but we hope he will arrive in a very good condition to compete on Saturday.”
Lamela suffered an injury during his time away with Argentina and Pochettino said:
“We need to assess him because he arrived this morning from Argentina – a very long way after a long travel - and he suffered some issue in Argentina. Now we need to assess him and see tomorrow if he’s available.”
You may also want to watch:
Vertonghen had been targeting the end of the international break for his return from a knee injury, which has ruled him out since January 23, but he may have to wait until next Sunday’s home game against Manchester United.
“Vertonghen is very very close,” said Pochettino. “If it’s not possible this week then maybe for the next week he’s available to be selected.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 6 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 7 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
- 8 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 9 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 10 Shoreditch man convicted of enslaving 13-year-old to sell drugs
“Clinton [N’Jie] is a little bit further away but he’s in a good way. Maybe we expect a little bit more time than Jan.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs