Spurs team news: Alderweireld set to face Liverpool but Vertonghen and Lamela are doubts
Mauricio Pochettino expects Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld to be fit to face Liverpool on Saturday after recovering from a stomach bug, but Jan Vertonghen and Erik Lamela are doubts.
Alderweireld withdrew from the Belgium squad earlier this week due to a stomach bug, missing Tuesday’s international fixture against Portugal – but Pochettino hopes he will available for this weekend’s trip to Anfield.
“He’s ok, he trained in the last two days in a very good way,” said the head coach. “We need to assess him tomorrow but we hope he will arrive in a very good condition to compete on Saturday.”
Lamela suffered an injury during his time away with Argentina and Pochettino said:
“We need to assess him because he arrived this morning from Argentina – a very long way after a long travel - and he suffered some issue in Argentina. Now we need to assess him and see tomorrow if he’s available.”
You may also want to watch:
Vertonghen had been targeting the end of the international break for his return from a knee injury, which has ruled him out since January 23, but he may have to wait until next Sunday’s home game against Manchester United.
“Vertonghen is very very close,” said Pochettino. “If it’s not possible this week then maybe for the next week he’s available to be selected.
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 4 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 5 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 6 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 7 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 8 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 9 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 10 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
“Clinton [N’Jie] is a little bit further away but he’s in a good way. Maybe we expect a little bit more time than Jan.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs