Spurs team news: Alderweireld set to face Liverpool but Vertonghen and Lamela are doubts
Mauricio Pochettino expects Tottenham defender Toby Alderweireld to be fit to face Liverpool on Saturday after recovering from a stomach bug, but Jan Vertonghen and Erik Lamela are doubts.
Alderweireld withdrew from the Belgium squad earlier this week due to a stomach bug, missing Tuesday’s international fixture against Portugal – but Pochettino hopes he will available for this weekend’s trip to Anfield.
“He’s ok, he trained in the last two days in a very good way,” said the head coach. “We need to assess him tomorrow but we hope he will arrive in a very good condition to compete on Saturday.”
Lamela suffered an injury during his time away with Argentina and Pochettino said:
“We need to assess him because he arrived this morning from Argentina – a very long way after a long travel - and he suffered some issue in Argentina. Now we need to assess him and see tomorrow if he’s available.”
You may also want to watch:
Vertonghen had been targeting the end of the international break for his return from a knee injury, which has ruled him out since January 23, but he may have to wait until next Sunday’s home game against Manchester United.
“Vertonghen is very very close,” said Pochettino. “If it’s not possible this week then maybe for the next week he’s available to be selected.
- 1 Hackney Wick bar and restaurant opens with Two More Years to go
- 2 How Homerton Hospital staff took on the virus in the first year of Covid
- 3 Legendary east London graffiti pub to reopen after 26 years
- 4 'They don't care,' says Hackney family living in mould-infested property
- 5 Stamford Hill North and Shoreditch hardest hit during Covid waves
- 6 Residents report losing sleep over Broadway Market drinkers and idling minicab engines
- 7 Crowdfunder for Prodigy's Keith Flint mural to raise mental health awareness
- 8 New traffic measures as school brings pupils onto a single site
- 9 Letter: Facilities needed to make LTNs work
- 10 Call for spare rooms and properties to help homeless people off the streets
“Clinton [N’Jie] is a little bit further away but he’s in a good way. Maybe we expect a little bit more time than Jan.”
Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs