Spurs midfielder Winks hoping for England call-up
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Harry Winks is hoping to be named in England squad for the upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers.
England Gareth Southgate will name his squad tomorrow ahead of the countries clashes with Bulgaria and Kosovo as they look to go one step closer to qualifying for the competition next summer.
The 23-year-old will be eagerly waiting to see if he is back among the squad as he looks to stamp his mark for his nation.
Although he did admit good performances for Spurs are what matter most as that will be what gets him a place in the squad.
"It's something that is always in the back of my head I wanted to be fit and selected for England," Winks said.
You may also want to watch:
"I want to play for my country, everyone does, but first and foremost it's about performing for Tottenham.
"Working hard and improving for Tottenham then performances will warrant those sorts of opportunities."
- 1 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 2 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 3 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 4 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 5 Cinema set to open in Finsbury Park in time for No Time to Die
- 6 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 7 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 8 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 9 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 10 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
Winks missed out on the Nations League matches and being part of the 23-man squad due to the tail-end of his domestic campaign being wrecked by a groin injury which required surgery
"It was difficult to watch the boys perform and not be involved," he revealed.
"The manager called me and I totally respected his decision, and I understand why he done it and all I can do is work hard to try get back in the team.
"Gareth is always positive and always gives his opinion."