Spurs midfielder Winks hoping for England call-up
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Harry Winks is hoping to be named in England squad for the upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers.
England Gareth Southgate will name his squad tomorrow ahead of the countries clashes with Bulgaria and Kosovo as they look to go one step closer to qualifying for the competition next summer.
The 23-year-old will be eagerly waiting to see if he is back among the squad as he looks to stamp his mark for his nation.
Although he did admit good performances for Spurs are what matter most as that will be what gets him a place in the squad.
"It's something that is always in the back of my head I wanted to be fit and selected for England," Winks said.
You may also want to watch:
"I want to play for my country, everyone does, but first and foremost it's about performing for Tottenham.
"Working hard and improving for Tottenham then performances will warrant those sorts of opportunities."
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 8 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 9 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 10 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
Winks missed out on the Nations League matches and being part of the 23-man squad due to the tail-end of his domestic campaign being wrecked by a groin injury which required surgery
"It was difficult to watch the boys perform and not be involved," he revealed.
"The manager called me and I totally respected his decision, and I understand why he done it and all I can do is work hard to try get back in the team.
"Gareth is always positive and always gives his opinion."