Spurs midfielder Winks hoping for England call-up
- Credit: PA Wire/PA Images
Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Harry Winks is hoping to be named in England squad for the upcoming Euro 2020 qualifiers.
England Gareth Southgate will name his squad tomorrow ahead of the countries clashes with Bulgaria and Kosovo as they look to go one step closer to qualifying for the competition next summer.
The 23-year-old will be eagerly waiting to see if he is back among the squad as he looks to stamp his mark for his nation.
Although he did admit good performances for Spurs are what matter most as that will be what gets him a place in the squad.
"It's something that is always in the back of my head I wanted to be fit and selected for England," Winks said.
You may also want to watch:
"I want to play for my country, everyone does, but first and foremost it's about performing for Tottenham.
"Working hard and improving for Tottenham then performances will warrant those sorts of opportunities."
- 1 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 2 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 3 London's emergency services show support for LTNs
- 4 Community group crowdfunds to turn old Lea valley water depot into wild space
- 5 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Godwin Lawson's mum reflects on the ‘hardest call’ after son's fatal stabbing
- 9 Hackney mum left with 'deep scars' after sexual assault at school
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
Winks missed out on the Nations League matches and being part of the 23-man squad due to the tail-end of his domestic campaign being wrecked by a groin injury which required surgery
"It was difficult to watch the boys perform and not be involved," he revealed.
"The manager called me and I totally respected his decision, and I understand why he done it and all I can do is work hard to try get back in the team.
"Gareth is always positive and always gives his opinion."