St John at Hackney summer fete a triumph
Despite gloomy weather forecasts, the St John at Hackney summer fete on Saturday was a triumph, raising over �2,500.
The Pearly Queen of Hackney turned up in all her finery, and all the fun of the fair was on offer with a coconut shy, a mocktail stall, bell ringing, church history tours, and barrel organ music.
“I was thrilled by the results of the fete this year, with many people leaving with bargains, homemade cakes and jams, and not to mention really enjoying a great fun day out for all the family,” said Father Rob Wickham.
“They may have even soaked Father Chris in the stocks, or been serenaded by a barber shop quartet, and all in all it was great to see Hackney, in all its diversity, come to St John’s for a great day out,” he added.
Many people turned up for the Hackney Children’s Theatre at the church in Lower Clapton Road, along with regular visitors to the weekly Hackney Homemade market held there.
The proceeds will go to the Hackney Winter Night Shelter Project and to buy a better PA system for the church.
- 1 Man rushed to hospital following Stoke Newington stabbing
- 2 Revealed: Hackney, Islington and Newham are boroughs with most LTNs
- 3 'We are trying to shift a culture': ending harassment of Hackney school pupils
- 4 Dalston delivery drivers demand shelter, safety and 'dignity'
- 5 Dalston food couriers protest will disrupt deliveries this afternoon
- 6 Woman 'may face life-changing injuries' after Dalston e-scooter crash
- 7 Library of Things opens in Dalston: Steam cleaners, tools and more for rent
- 8 Gun found in car as Met makes 130 arrests during drugs op
- 9 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
- 10 Apply now: Hackney Central business fund launched