Stamford Hill Post Office next in line for franchise plan – but union fears job losses and poorer service
- Credit: Archant
Union chiefs have hit out at Post Office plans to enlist a “retail partner” to run Stamford Hill Crown Post Office, which they fear could result in job losses.
Offices in Stoke Newington and Finsbury Park have recently been franchised. The Communication Workers Union, which represents staff, is worried about job cuts and concerned customers could get an inferior service compared with the existing crown Post Office.
They also say facilities in a new building might not cater for the elderly and those with mobile difficulties, and that there would be no long-term guarantee of the service under a private provider.
Rep Clive Tickner said: “There are hundreds of people who come to this office every day. We simply don’t think the same service could be matched by a few serving positions in the back of the building.
“This is a dedicated office with good access arrangements in a prominent location. The staff are well-trained and have a wealth of experience between them which will be lost under the company’s plans.”
You may also want to watch:
A Post Office spokeswoman said: “The vast majority of Post Offices – more than 11,000 – are operated on a franchise or agency basis alongside a retail business and this works very successfully for our customers, with convenient access to our services and longer opening hours. We’re not reducing our branches or our services.
“There are no detailed proposals yet for Stamford Hill. When we have detailed plans, these will be subject to a six-week public consultation.”
- 1 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 2 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney
- 3 Empty Hoxton car parks and garages to be turned into homes
- 4 Hackney reviewing whether court ruling impacts low-traffic neighbourhoods
- 5 Pictures: Scenes in Islington and Hackney after snowfall blankets London
- 6 Restaurant owner delivers treats to Homerton Hospital
- 7 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 8 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 9 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 10 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs