Stamford Hill teenager dies swimming at Hampstead Heath Men’s Pond
- Credit: Archant
A teenager who died swimming at Hampstead Heath’s Men’s Pond last night has been named locally as a 19-year-old from Stamford Hill.
He has been named as Moshe Yitzchok Greenfield. It is believed he was from the Orthodox Jewish community.
Police were called to the bathing pond at about 5.30pm after reports that the teenager was “in difficulty”.
Specialist officers from the Marine Policing Unit attended and his body was recovered from the water shortly before 11pm.
The teenager’s death is the second in two years at the bathing ponds.
You may also want to watch:
In August 2013, Vogue photographer Sussie Alhburg drowned after suffering an abnormal heart rhythm while swimming.
Moshe is thought to have been the son of the late Rabbi Chaim Yaakov Greenfield, a prominent member of the Ultra-Orthodox Satmar community in London.
- 1 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 2 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers
- 3 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 4 Scouts roll out new early years Squirrels programme across east London
- 5 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 6 Five things to do in Hackney and Islington this weekend (September 25-56)
- 7 Thousands oppose Stoke Newington Church Street bus gate
- 8 Home of the metre-long pizza opens in Finsbury Park
- 9 Hackney Wick's Lord Napier pub opens its doors after 26 years
- 10 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
The Men’s Pond will be closed until further notice, and is expected to remain shut for the next few days, according to the City of London Corporation.