Stamford Hill teenager dies swimming at Hampstead Heath Men’s Pond
- Credit: Archant
A teenager who died swimming at Hampstead Heath’s Men’s Pond last night has been named locally as a 19-year-old from Stamford Hill.
He has been named as Moshe Yitzchok Greenfield. It is believed he was from the Orthodox Jewish community.
Police were called to the bathing pond at about 5.30pm after reports that the teenager was “in difficulty”.
Specialist officers from the Marine Policing Unit attended and his body was recovered from the water shortly before 11pm.
The teenager’s death is the second in two years at the bathing ponds.
You may also want to watch:
In August 2013, Vogue photographer Sussie Alhburg drowned after suffering an abnormal heart rhythm while swimming.
Moshe is thought to have been the son of the late Rabbi Chaim Yaakov Greenfield, a prominent member of the Ultra-Orthodox Satmar community in London.
- 1 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 2 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 3 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 7 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Union votes to strike over cuts at Hackney schools
The Men’s Pond will be closed until further notice, and is expected to remain shut for the next few days, according to the City of London Corporation.