Stamford Hill teenager dies swimming at Hampstead Heath Men’s Pond
- Credit: Archant
A teenager who died swimming at Hampstead Heath’s Men’s Pond last night has been named locally as a 19-year-old from Stamford Hill.
He has been named as Moshe Yitzchok Greenfield. It is believed he was from the Orthodox Jewish community.
Police were called to the bathing pond at about 5.30pm after reports that the teenager was “in difficulty”.
Specialist officers from the Marine Policing Unit attended and his body was recovered from the water shortly before 11pm.
The teenager’s death is the second in two years at the bathing ponds.
You may also want to watch:
In August 2013, Vogue photographer Sussie Alhburg drowned after suffering an abnormal heart rhythm while swimming.
Moshe is thought to have been the son of the late Rabbi Chaim Yaakov Greenfield, a prominent member of the Ultra-Orthodox Satmar community in London.
- 1 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 2 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 3 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 4 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
- 5 Reopening week saw “record-breaking” days at pubs in Hoxton
- 6 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 7 Hackney restaurant exhibits local artists with new art space
- 8 Hackney service remembers Prince Philip, 'rock of the nation'
- 9 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 10 70 firefighters tackle Old Street tower block blaze
The Men’s Pond will be closed until further notice, and is expected to remain shut for the next few days, according to the City of London Corporation.