Start-up of the week: Homerton baker Nadine Close on how Hackney inspired her new business
- Credit: Archant
From first birthdays to wedding days, Nadine’s Flare Cakes caters for all ages, tastes and occasions.
Nadine Close, 24, has been running the cake-baking business out of her Homerton home since August.
A lot of the ingredients for Nadine’s success were borrowed from her mother, who she says taught her the essentials.
“My mum always used to make birthday cakes,” Nadine told the Gazette. “One year I asked if I could help make my sister’s cake, and I’ve been baking ever since.”
Nadine says she takes much of her inspiration from Hackney, having moved to the borough last year. She’s already made a couple of cakes for runners from the Victoria Park Harriers Club, and plans on baking many more with a distinctly local flavour.
You may also want to watch:
“I want to branch out,” she said. “Make a multitude of cakes.
“Hackney’s very different from elsewhere – I love it.”
- 1 Lower Clapton restaurant to hold free meals event for struggling people
- 2 Jealous Dalston murderer stabbed victim through his heart with scissors
- 3 Hackney tenant who was left 'terrified' for years reaches court settlement
- 4 Hackney mother seeks compensation after living with mice infestation
- 5 Olympic boxer joins fight to make vegetable poverty history in Hackney
- 6 Hackney Half marathon to go ahead amid uncertain Covid restrictions
- 7 Stamford Hill singer says Hackney people helped him on creative path
- 8 Tributes paid to Hackney sports hero and coach Lloyd Cowan
- 9 Lower Clapton blaze damages maisonette
- 10 Police issue fines worth £15,000 after suspected illegal rave in Hackney