Start-up of the week: Broadway Market’s Miso Tasty is now stocked nationwide
- Credit: bonnie chung
Each week the Gazette takes to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Hackney. This week, we discovered the miso brand whose HQ is in London Fields.
A chef whose fascination with miso took her on a three-year quest to learn the craft of making it in Japan is now selling it in supermarkets across the country.
It took 65 manufacturing trials before Bonnie Chung found the right partners in Japan where they made more than two tonnes of the fermented soya bean product to finalise her recipe for Miso Tasty.
The 31-year-old now runs her business from an office in Regent Studios next to Broadway Market, London Fields, having raised £270,000 through a crowdfunding campaign.
The products are sold in Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Ocado, Wholefoods, Selfridges, and Harvey Nichols.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Miso has always been one of my favourite ingredients, so that’s where I began – my journey to make the ultimate miso soup. I’ve always wanted to run my own business, coming from a family of entrepreneurs, but my first love was food.”
- 1 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 2 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 3 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 4 This isn't a funny column - Covid killed my father
- 5 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 6 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 7 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 8 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 9 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 10 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images