Start-up of the week: Broadway Market’s Miso Tasty is now stocked nationwide
- Credit: bonnie chung
Each week the Gazette takes to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Hackney. This week, we discovered the miso brand whose HQ is in London Fields.
A chef whose fascination with miso took her on a three-year quest to learn the craft of making it in Japan is now selling it in supermarkets across the country.
It took 65 manufacturing trials before Bonnie Chung found the right partners in Japan where they made more than two tonnes of the fermented soya bean product to finalise her recipe for Miso Tasty.
The 31-year-old now runs her business from an office in Regent Studios next to Broadway Market, London Fields, having raised £270,000 through a crowdfunding campaign.
The products are sold in Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Ocado, Wholefoods, Selfridges, and Harvey Nichols.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Miso has always been one of my favourite ingredients, so that’s where I began – my journey to make the ultimate miso soup. I’ve always wanted to run my own business, coming from a family of entrepreneurs, but my first love was food.”
- 1 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 2 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 3 More developers could lodge proposals for Hackney Central site
- 4 Finsbury Park house to be transformed for ‘Halloween experience’
- 5 O's will need a much improved display against leaders Forest Green
- 6 New Aldi opens with help from Hackney pupils and Olympian
- 7 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney
- 8 The top FIVE Halloween events in Hackney and Islington
- 9 Five reasons why Dalston is one of the coolest places in the world
- 10 How you can get free pizza at a Hoxton restaurant