Start-up of the week: Broadway Market’s Miso Tasty is now stocked nationwide
- Credit: bonnie chung
Each week the Gazette takes to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Hackney. This week, we discovered the miso brand whose HQ is in London Fields.
A chef whose fascination with miso took her on a three-year quest to learn the craft of making it in Japan is now selling it in supermarkets across the country.
It took 65 manufacturing trials before Bonnie Chung found the right partners in Japan where they made more than two tonnes of the fermented soya bean product to finalise her recipe for Miso Tasty.
The 31-year-old now runs her business from an office in Regent Studios next to Broadway Market, London Fields, having raised £270,000 through a crowdfunding campaign.
The products are sold in Waitrose, Sainsbury’s, Ocado, Wholefoods, Selfridges, and Harvey Nichols.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “Miso has always been one of my favourite ingredients, so that’s where I began – my journey to make the ultimate miso soup. I’ve always wanted to run my own business, coming from a family of entrepreneurs, but my first love was food.”
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 8 Hackney volunteers tend to Overground station gardens
- 9 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 10 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus