Start-up of the week: Hackney man launches web design firm using 100pc renewable energy
- Credit: Archant
The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting new businesses in Hackney. This week, we stepped inside the HQ of Erjjio – the London Fields start-up that makes “green” websites. Confused? Read on.
A trailblazing web design firm that uses 100 per cent renewable energy has been launched in Hackney.
Erjjio (pronounced “ERR-gee-oh”) is the brainchild of Ben Clifford, who has left behind a career in corporate web design to focus on a more environmentally conscious model.
And if you’re wondering what a green website is, Ben can explain.
“When you build a website it is hosted in a data centre,” he said. “They are usually found outside of cities and they have huge stacks of servers where all our data is stored. They need loads of electricity to keep them cooled and online.
You may also want to watch:
“Only about 20pc of the data centres in the world currently use renewable energy – most people don’t realise their website is probably powered by fossil fuels, or that they can choose a green alternative. I’m spreading the word to help solve that.”
So Erjjio creates green websites. And it’s not more expensive, either.
Click here for more information.
- 1 Delivery couriers boycott Dalston McDonald's
- 2 Two of the best boozers in Hackney, voted for by readers
- 3 Stoke Newington eatery voted favourite café by Gazette readers
- 4 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries
- 5 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 6 Hackney's field-to-fork cooking school opens in Lower Clapton
- 7 Complaints about noise neighbours soared in Hackney during the pandemic
- 8 Met Office issues yellow warning for heavy showers in London
- 9 'Food delivery' youth in suspect Shoreditch drugs bust
- 10 Chinese dumpling house voted top restaurant by readers