Start-up of the week: Newington Green hair salon Buller and Rice promotes eco-friendly beauty routines
- Credit: Emma Bartholomew
The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting and unusual new businesses in Hackney. This week we speak to Stephen Buller who has just launched a new hair salon in Newington Green to reduce the environmental impact of our beauty routines.
Water wastage, energy use and the chemicals in mass market hair dyes mean most hair salons are not sustainable ventures – but Buller and Rice is looking to change all that.
From using recyclable towels, eco-egg sustainable detergent, locally sourced coffee, wine and beer, and eco-friendly products from Davines, Stephen Buller and Anita Rice have also kitted out the salon to be energy-efficient, up-cycled some trendy Belmont chairs, and enlisted Hackney Road furniture maker Lozi to make marble-effect mirror frames from recycled yogurt pots.
The salon even has a resident Brussels Griffon dog Cyril.
Stephen told the Gazette: “Lots of salons have more of a nightclub feel, but being in nice surroundings with a dog is not so intense.
You may also want to watch:
“You can still enjoy a glass of wine and a beer, but it’s nice to relax and enjoy getting your hair done.”
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste
- 9 Sistah Space launches charity shop to help domestic abuse survivors
- 10 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds