Start-up of the week: Newington Green hair salon Buller and Rice promotes eco-friendly beauty routines
- Credit: Emma Bartholomew
The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting and unusual new businesses in Hackney. This week we speak to Stephen Buller who has just launched a new hair salon in Newington Green to reduce the environmental impact of our beauty routines.
Water wastage, energy use and the chemicals in mass market hair dyes mean most hair salons are not sustainable ventures – but Buller and Rice is looking to change all that.
From using recyclable towels, eco-egg sustainable detergent, locally sourced coffee, wine and beer, and eco-friendly products from Davines, Stephen Buller and Anita Rice have also kitted out the salon to be energy-efficient, up-cycled some trendy Belmont chairs, and enlisted Hackney Road furniture maker Lozi to make marble-effect mirror frames from recycled yogurt pots.
The salon even has a resident Brussels Griffon dog Cyril.
Stephen told the Gazette: “Lots of salons have more of a nightclub feel, but being in nice surroundings with a dog is not so intense.
You may also want to watch:
“You can still enjoy a glass of wine and a beer, but it’s nice to relax and enjoy getting your hair done.”
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 4 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 5 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 6 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 7 Lockdown: Thirteen card players busted by police in Hackney social club
- 8 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 9 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared