Start-up of the week: Newington Green hair salon Buller and Rice promotes eco-friendly beauty routines
- Credit: Emma Bartholomew
The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting and unusual new businesses in Hackney. This week we speak to Stephen Buller who has just launched a new hair salon in Newington Green to reduce the environmental impact of our beauty routines.
Water wastage, energy use and the chemicals in mass market hair dyes mean most hair salons are not sustainable ventures – but Buller and Rice is looking to change all that.
From using recyclable towels, eco-egg sustainable detergent, locally sourced coffee, wine and beer, and eco-friendly products from Davines, Stephen Buller and Anita Rice have also kitted out the salon to be energy-efficient, up-cycled some trendy Belmont chairs, and enlisted Hackney Road furniture maker Lozi to make marble-effect mirror frames from recycled yogurt pots.
The salon even has a resident Brussels Griffon dog Cyril.
Stephen told the Gazette: “Lots of salons have more of a nightclub feel, but being in nice surroundings with a dog is not so intense.
You may also want to watch:
“You can still enjoy a glass of wine and a beer, but it’s nice to relax and enjoy getting your hair done.”
- 1 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 7 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 8 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
- 9 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 10 Hackney welcomes back eager gym-goers and swimmers