Start-up of the week: Rent household items with Fat Lama – an ‘Airbnb for stuff’
- Credit: Archant
The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting and unusual new businesses in Hackney. This week we speak to a group of friends who aim to become the next Airbnb – swapping houses for household items.
Anyone who’s made a last-minute shopping trip to buy a tent ahead of a camping trip will be glad to hear they no longer have to.
Fat Lama is a new platform, launched in Hackney, that allows people to make money by renting out their household items to others nearby, complete with warranty and insurance.
So no more buying stuff and using it just once.
The team is made up of business-minded graduates, who have worked out that the owner of a £120 tent could make their money back by renting it out just three times based on a two-day rental.
You may also want to watch:
Co-founder Chaz Englander said: “The way we view our stuff is changing - it’s not about ownership anymore. Fat Lama means people could have access to almost anything they need.”
Click here to check it out.
- 1 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 2 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 3 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 4 New photography book celebrates Hackney’s residents of all ages
- 5 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 6 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 9 Hackney writer creates web series to deter young people from "street life"
- 10 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12