Start-up of the week: Scandi pastries come to Lower Clapton
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Hackney. This week, we speak to Lower Clapton’s new bakery.
There’s a whiff of cinnamon wafting through the air in Lower Clapton Road thanks to a new Scandinavian-influenced bakery.
Karolis Siudikas and business partner Thomas Mathiassen have decided to capitalise on their years of expertise in the baking industry and open their own.
Charles Bakery launched two weeks ago and has been going down a treat, with all the bread and pastries cooked in-house every day.
“I’ve been baking for most of my life,” Karolis told the Gazette. “I started in the industry in 2010 and have worked in five-star hotels across London. Thomas used to work for Meyers, one of the biggest bakeries in Denmark.”
You may also want to watch:
So what’s the one product customers should go for?
“The kanelsnurrer [cinnamon buns],” Karolis added. “We bake them just before we open. They entice people in.”
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 7 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 8 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted