Start-up of the week: Scandi pastries come to Lower Clapton
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Hackney. This week, we speak to Lower Clapton’s new bakery.
There’s a whiff of cinnamon wafting through the air in Lower Clapton Road thanks to a new Scandinavian-influenced bakery.
Karolis Siudikas and business partner Thomas Mathiassen have decided to capitalise on their years of expertise in the baking industry and open their own.
Charles Bakery launched two weeks ago and has been going down a treat, with all the bread and pastries cooked in-house every day.
“I’ve been baking for most of my life,” Karolis told the Gazette. “I started in the industry in 2010 and have worked in five-star hotels across London. Thomas used to work for Meyers, one of the biggest bakeries in Denmark.”
You may also want to watch:
So what’s the one product customers should go for?
“The kanelsnurrer [cinnamon buns],” Karolis added. “We bake them just before we open. They entice people in.”
- 1 South Africa and Indian Covid variants found in Shoreditch and Dalston
- 2 Fatal Gillett Square shooting shines spotlight on crime hotspot
- 3 Patrick Anzy: Two arrests in Dalston fatal shooting investigation
- 4 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 5 Pub managers in Hackney tell how life is since lockdown eased
- 6 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 7 Hackney's Miss London makes it to Miss England final
- 8 Man dies after reports of shooting in Dalston
- 9 Dalston shooting victim named by police
- 10 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack