Start-up of the week: Scandi pastries come to Lower Clapton
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Hackney. This week, we speak to Lower Clapton’s new bakery.
There’s a whiff of cinnamon wafting through the air in Lower Clapton Road thanks to a new Scandinavian-influenced bakery.
Karolis Siudikas and business partner Thomas Mathiassen have decided to capitalise on their years of expertise in the baking industry and open their own.
Charles Bakery launched two weeks ago and has been going down a treat, with all the bread and pastries cooked in-house every day.
“I’ve been baking for most of my life,” Karolis told the Gazette. “I started in the industry in 2010 and have worked in five-star hotels across London. Thomas used to work for Meyers, one of the biggest bakeries in Denmark.”
So what’s the one product customers should go for?
“The kanelsnurrer [cinnamon buns],” Karolis added. “We bake them just before we open. They entice people in.”
- 1 Hanukkah 2021: Five events in north London tonight
- 2 Warnings of ice across London amid plummeting temperatures
- 3 EXCLUSIVE: Planet Organic responds to backlash about incoming Broadway Market store
- 4 Great Christmas markets in and around north London
- 5 Planned travel disruptions in east and central north London this week
- 6 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 7 South Hackney stabbing: Woman arrested and man left fighting for his life
- 8 Business owners concerned by twice-burgled Stamford Hill shop
- 9 'Shock and sadness' after news GP practice will close
- 10 Worries at lights shutting off around Hackney