Start-up of the week: Scandi pastries come to Lower Clapton
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Hackney. This week, we speak to Lower Clapton’s new bakery.
There’s a whiff of cinnamon wafting through the air in Lower Clapton Road thanks to a new Scandinavian-influenced bakery.
Karolis Siudikas and business partner Thomas Mathiassen have decided to capitalise on their years of expertise in the baking industry and open their own.
Charles Bakery launched two weeks ago and has been going down a treat, with all the bread and pastries cooked in-house every day.
“I’ve been baking for most of my life,” Karolis told the Gazette. “I started in the industry in 2010 and have worked in five-star hotels across London. Thomas used to work for Meyers, one of the biggest bakeries in Denmark.”
You may also want to watch:
So what’s the one product customers should go for?
“The kanelsnurrer [cinnamon buns],” Karolis added. “We bake them just before we open. They entice people in.”
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 4 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 5 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 6 Hackney people encouraged to shop local for April 12 reopening
- 7 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
- 8 Hackney's great beer gardens reopening on April 12
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Tote bags help tackle homelessness and addiction