Start-up of the week: Scandi pastries come to Lower Clapton
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Hackney. This week, we speak to Lower Clapton’s new bakery.
There’s a whiff of cinnamon wafting through the air in Lower Clapton Road thanks to a new Scandinavian-influenced bakery.
Karolis Siudikas and business partner Thomas Mathiassen have decided to capitalise on their years of expertise in the baking industry and open their own.
Charles Bakery launched two weeks ago and has been going down a treat, with all the bread and pastries cooked in-house every day.
“I’ve been baking for most of my life,” Karolis told the Gazette. “I started in the industry in 2010 and have worked in five-star hotels across London. Thomas used to work for Meyers, one of the biggest bakeries in Denmark.”
You may also want to watch:
So what’s the one product customers should go for?
“The kanelsnurrer [cinnamon buns],” Karolis added. “We bake them just before we open. They entice people in.”
- 1 Investigation launched after Stamford Hill lockdown wedding
- 2 Man sentenced for assault on Homerton Hospital nurse
- 3 Prospect of £10K fine after Stamford Hill wedding
- 4 Man sentenced after teenage boy groomed on Snapchat to sell heroin
- 5 Police seize lock and 'Rambo-style' knifes in London Fields
- 6 Man wrestled to floor during attempted robbery in Finsbury Park
- 7 Hackney surgery named GP Team of the Year
- 8 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 9 Hackney ‘poised’ to undertake school closures after drop in pupil numbers
- 10 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week