Start-up of the week: Shapes for Schools aims to inspire kids by putting brand names in the classroom
- Credit: Archant
The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting new businesses in Hackney. This week we speak to the founder of Shapes for Schools, a new company aiming to inspire kids to learn by placing recognisable brands in the classroom.
A former teacher has come up with a new way to inspire pupils – replacing stuffy textbook content with brands they recognise.
Jenny Baldwin, of Finsbury Park, has launched Shapes for Schools, a marketing agency helping firms break into the education sector by placing their names and logos in the classroom. For instance, she has created lessons and activities based on Chris Hoy’s children’s books, designed to get young kids reading and exercising.
Having taught for several years in the UK and Spain, Jenny worked in publishing at Penguin Random House and as a marketer for Scholastic UK. And her experiences have taught her that creative partnerships are the way forward.
“Shapes aims to give kids a wider variety of interesting content that makes them want to learn,” she said. “We’re trying to replace textbooks with resources relevant to their interests – whether it’s their favourite football club, film or children’s book. It’s about helping teachers find new ways to inspire them.”
You may also want to watch:
Since launching in March, Shapes has worked with clients in the culture sector, children’s publishing and sport.
For more information, visit the Shapes for Schools website .
- 1 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 2 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
- 3 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 4 Hackney barber to Lebron James and Anthony Joshua has skills recognised
- 5 Homerton gardens renamed to sever slave trader ties and celebrate community hero
- 6 Elderly woman robbed of precious watch in daylight Finsbury Park incident
- 7 Upcoming Hackney and Islington road and rail disruptions
- 8 5 great places in north London to get away from the summer crowds
- 9 Charity puts on community feasts to tackle food waste
- 10 Police searching for rightful owners of 45 stolen bikes