Start-up of the week: Shoreditch company brings the corner shop to your home
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Hackney. This week, we discovered a corner shop delivery service.
There will be no more popping to the shop for more beers or a pint of milk if Alchemy Wings takes off.
The Shoreditch start-up is London’s first 24/7 on-demand food and drink delivery service for corner shops and newsagents.
It shouldn’t have too many problems succeeding, either, with backers including Coca Cola, Mars and Heineken.
Founder Sam Martin said: “Corner shops are run by local hero’s - they’re working every hour imaginable, so that if I want a Kit-Kat and a bottle of Merlot at 3am I can have it. They deserve the right to take on the big super markets on their own terms - and they’re going to win.”
You may also want to watch:
The company launched last year and has 50 stores signed up, including Yours Locally in Kingsland Road. Owner Hasan Yilmaz said: “I’ve been giving locals what they want for decades, this enables us to do it for decades more.”
Check out Alchemy Wings here.
- 1 Hackney man, 22, died struggling to breathe in prison cell for eight minutes
- 2 Man attacked with metal pole in Clapton
- 3 Dalston revealed as Hackney's top hotspot for weapons offences
- 4 Hackney had worst knife crime rate in London, report finds
- 5 Stats show rate of rise in Covid rates locally
- 6 Hackney sees house prices boom by more than 108 per cent over ten years
- 7 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 8 Hackney leaders welcome Mayor Khan's ULEZ expansion
- 9 What A Wonderful World: Hackney Choirs sing for climate action ahead of COP26
- 10 I’m terrible at golf. Can a Shoreditch centre help me improve?