Start-up of the week: Shoreditch company brings the corner shop to your home
- Credit: Archant
Every week, we take to the streets to find a start-up business right here in Hackney. This week, we discovered a corner shop delivery service.
There will be no more popping to the shop for more beers or a pint of milk if Alchemy Wings takes off.
The Shoreditch start-up is London’s first 24/7 on-demand food and drink delivery service for corner shops and newsagents.
It shouldn’t have too many problems succeeding, either, with backers including Coca Cola, Mars and Heineken.
Founder Sam Martin said: “Corner shops are run by local hero’s - they’re working every hour imaginable, so that if I want a Kit-Kat and a bottle of Merlot at 3am I can have it. They deserve the right to take on the big super markets on their own terms - and they’re going to win.”
You may also want to watch:
The company launched last year and has 50 stores signed up, including Yours Locally in Kingsland Road. Owner Hasan Yilmaz said: “I’ve been giving locals what they want for decades, this enables us to do it for decades more.”
Check out Alchemy Wings here.
- 1 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 2 Hackney road closures 'will cost lives', says volunteer ambulance service
- 3 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 4 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 5 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 6 Covid-safe shared workspaces in Hackney on flexibility without formalities
- 7 Stoke Newington School looks to raise £60K for student laptops
- 8 Homerton High Street attack: Man in his 50s stabbed in the back
- 9 Police divers search for man who fell from boat into freezing River Lea
- 10 Homerton Hospital says 'stay home' after 'major incident' declared