Start-up of the week: Soar’s switch from high fashion to high-end sportswear
- Credit: Tim Soar
The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting and unusual new businesses in Hackney. This week we speak to Tim Soar about his high-end sports brand.
Like a true entrepreneur, designer Tim Soar decided to make the switch from high fashion to high-end sportswear when he spotted a gap in the market.
Called Soar – a play on his own name – he started out designing premium technical men’s running clothing from his studio in Dunston Street, Haggerston, and has now branched into women’s.
“I’ve been a runner for many years so having been through the high fashion treadmill it felt like there was an interesting space to be developed in running clothing,” said Tim, who used to have a show at London Fashion Week for his eponymous brand.
“Fitness in all its forms is so embedded in everyone’s psyche if you are an urban dweller. I think if people buy designer clothes, why wouldn’t they wear that to do sport?”
You may also want to watch:
They’re not cheap: a classic t-shirt starts at £54. “By high fashion standards that’s bargain basement but for running clothing standards it is the premium end of the market,” said Tim – who uses Italian fabrics.
- 1 Fears soft play centre Kidzmania could be at threat due to flats plan
- 2 Still no justice for Hackney flat party stabbing victim Elyon Poku
- 3 Residents' thoughts on Stoke Newington Church Street LTN
- 4 Letter on LTN scheme in Stoke Newington
- 5 Cinema set to open in Finsbury Park in time for No Time to Die
- 6 Helen Anderson: Finsbury Park murder victim's father pays tribute to his daughter
- 7 Hackney Half runners prepare for the fitness festival weekend
- 8 McDonald's boycott backed by Diane Abbott, Hackney MP
- 9 Otas Sarkus: Two charged with murder after fatal shooting
- 10 Hackney acid attack: Man charged over 2019 assault which left two with life-changing injuries