Start-up of the week: Soar’s switch from high fashion to high-end sportswear
- Credit: Tim Soar
The Gazette hunts high and low each week to bring you news of the most interesting and unusual new businesses in Hackney. This week we speak to Tim Soar about his high-end sports brand.
Like a true entrepreneur, designer Tim Soar decided to make the switch from high fashion to high-end sportswear when he spotted a gap in the market.
Called Soar – a play on his own name – he started out designing premium technical men’s running clothing from his studio in Dunston Street, Haggerston, and has now branched into women’s.
“I’ve been a runner for many years so having been through the high fashion treadmill it felt like there was an interesting space to be developed in running clothing,” said Tim, who used to have a show at London Fashion Week for his eponymous brand.
“Fitness in all its forms is so embedded in everyone’s psyche if you are an urban dweller. I think if people buy designer clothes, why wouldn’t they wear that to do sport?”
They’re not cheap: a classic t-shirt starts at £54. “By high fashion standards that’s bargain basement but for running clothing standards it is the premium end of the market,” said Tim – who uses Italian fabrics.
- 1 Woman, 31, cleared of murdering man in Hackney
- 2 Man's head and hand slashed in Hackney knife attack
- 3 Hackney woman fined £12,000 for hosting birthday bash a day after No 10 parties
- 4 Hackney groups respond to permanent Homerton LTN
- 5 Sentencing delayed for 'audacious' fraudster who conned Hackney hotel staff
- 6 Three jailed after 'horrific' revenge attack on teenage boy near Finsbury Park
- 7 Wanted: Man known to commit offences on train and tube network
- 8 Knifeman was out on bail when he nearly killed father-of-three on school run
- 9 Men jailed after violent Mare Street robberies
- 10 Convicted: Met special constable who assaulted man in custody