Start-up of the week: The Vurger Co, opening its first vegan burger restaurant in Shoreditch tomorrow
- Credit: Archant
A vegan burger shop opened its first restaurant in Shoreditch on Saturday thanks to £300,000 raised through crowdfunders.
The Vurger Co’s cash drive was launched in July with a target of £180,000 – but the company was able to raise £299,760 in just three days.
It will open at Avant Garde in Richmix Square, just off Bethnal Green Road.
Its aim is to “revolutionise fast food through the power of plants”. The burgers are 100 per cent free of animal products and made from locally sourced vegetables, grains and nuts. They even use compostable packaging.
Burgers include the Classic, the Mexican, the MLT and the Auburger – which is made with aubergines, onion, vegan cheese and chickpeas.
You may also want to watch:
Founder Rachel Hugh said: “We have traded in the area for two years through various pop ups, events and festivals, so moving into Shoreditch was the perfect match.”
- 1 Covid fines worth £39K handed out in Hackney and Tower Hamlets
- 2 Shop Local: Stoke Newington entrepreneur launches dog accessory business
- 3 Old Street roundabout project moves into final phase
- 4 Campaigners launch legal challenge against Hackney LTNs
- 5 Jailed: 'Dangerous' Hackney predator found with 1,600 indecent child images
- 6 Police appeal for help to trace wanted Dalston man
- 7 Joint Covid patrols launched to ensure lockdown rules are followed
- 8 Hackney school pupils bag top spots in national architecture competition
- 9 'Common sense' prevails as Stamford Hill testing centre moved out of estate
- 10 Hackney Council cyberattack: Stolen data published on the dark web