Start-up of the week: The Vurger Co, opening its first vegan burger restaurant in Shoreditch tomorrow
- Credit: Archant
A vegan burger shop opened its first restaurant in Shoreditch on Saturday thanks to £300,000 raised through crowdfunders.
The Vurger Co’s cash drive was launched in July with a target of £180,000 – but the company was able to raise £299,760 in just three days.
It will open at Avant Garde in Richmix Square, just off Bethnal Green Road.
Its aim is to “revolutionise fast food through the power of plants”. The burgers are 100 per cent free of animal products and made from locally sourced vegetables, grains and nuts. They even use compostable packaging.
Burgers include the Classic, the Mexican, the MLT and the Auburger – which is made with aubergines, onion, vegan cheese and chickpeas.
You may also want to watch:
Founder Rachel Hugh said: “We have traded in the area for two years through various pop ups, events and festivals, so moving into Shoreditch was the perfect match.”
- 1 Man wanted after alleged sexual offence in Hackney
- 2 Clapton: Hunt for metal pole after man badly injured
- 3 Calls to boycott Museum of Home until Geffrye statue falls
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 Drug dealer jailed for murder of Jay John after Dalston attack
- 6 How Hackney are you? Try our quiz
- 7 Morning Lane council homes only possible 'if flats are sold' - says mayor
- 8 Nuisance drinkers in Hackney to be fined under new order
- 9 Trick or Eat returns to help Hackney Foodbank
- 10 Two taken to hospital and driver arrested after car flips in Hackney