Start-up of the week: The Vurger Co, opening its first vegan burger restaurant in Shoreditch tomorrow
- Credit: Archant
A vegan burger shop opened its first restaurant in Shoreditch on Saturday thanks to £300,000 raised through crowdfunders.
The Vurger Co’s cash drive was launched in July with a target of £180,000 – but the company was able to raise £299,760 in just three days.
It will open at Avant Garde in Richmix Square, just off Bethnal Green Road.
Its aim is to “revolutionise fast food through the power of plants”. The burgers are 100 per cent free of animal products and made from locally sourced vegetables, grains and nuts. They even use compostable packaging.
Burgers include the Classic, the Mexican, the MLT and the Auburger – which is made with aubergines, onion, vegan cheese and chickpeas.
You may also want to watch:
Founder Rachel Hugh said: “We have traded in the area for two years through various pop ups, events and festivals, so moving into Shoreditch was the perfect match.”
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 7 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 8 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 9 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
- 10 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year