Start-up of the week: The Vurger Co, opening its first vegan burger restaurant in Shoreditch tomorrow
- Credit: Archant
A vegan burger shop opened its first restaurant in Shoreditch on Saturday thanks to £300,000 raised through crowdfunders.
The Vurger Co’s cash drive was launched in July with a target of £180,000 – but the company was able to raise £299,760 in just three days.
It will open at Avant Garde in Richmix Square, just off Bethnal Green Road.
Its aim is to “revolutionise fast food through the power of plants”. The burgers are 100 per cent free of animal products and made from locally sourced vegetables, grains and nuts. They even use compostable packaging.
Burgers include the Classic, the Mexican, the MLT and the Auburger – which is made with aubergines, onion, vegan cheese and chickpeas.
You may also want to watch:
Founder Rachel Hugh said: “We have traded in the area for two years through various pop ups, events and festivals, so moving into Shoreditch was the perfect match.”
- 1 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 From Shoreditch to Las Vegas: New bingo hall for Hackney
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 9 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted