Step right up! Circus workshops hit Hackney
- Credit: Archant
The circus came to Hackney for half-term as charity the Hackney Shed hosted a workshop for youngsters.
Two workshops took place on Wednesday and Thursday last week, with separate sessions for eight- to 11-year-olds and 11-to-17 year-olds.
Professional circus performer Kaveh Rahnama was hired to provide lessons for the youngsters, teaching them skills such as juggling, acrobatics, hula hoop and stilt-walking to name just a few.
“We were delighted with the workshops,” said Barry Fitzgerald, co-ordinator at the Hackney Shed.
“Both days were a great success and the sense of fun, engagement and skill from the young people was incredible.
You may also want to watch:
“It was just amazing to see how quickly they took to difficult skills such as arco-balance and stilt walking.
“The level of focus was fantastic and just so lovely to see how well they all worked together.”
- 1 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 2 Pastor Morris tribute: 'We don’t know what would have happened to us if it wasn’t for him'
- 3 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 4 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 5 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 6 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 7 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 8 Massive drugs haul suspected to be worth over £1million seized in Hackney
- 9 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
- 10 Anti-lockdown and vaccination camp remains in Hackney Downs after a week
Established in 2001, the Hackney Shed is a performing arts group for young people.
It operates out of the BSix college building in Kenninghall Road, Upper Clapton.
They run three clubs for differing age groups: “Children’s Theatre” for those aged seven to 11, “Youth Theatre” for 11- to 16-year-olds and “Hackney Shed +” for those aged 16 to 19.
Visit hackneyshed.org.uk for more