Step right up! Circus workshops hit Hackney
- Credit: Archant
The circus came to Hackney for half-term as charity the Hackney Shed hosted a workshop for youngsters.
Two workshops took place on Wednesday and Thursday last week, with separate sessions for eight- to 11-year-olds and 11-to-17 year-olds.
Professional circus performer Kaveh Rahnama was hired to provide lessons for the youngsters, teaching them skills such as juggling, acrobatics, hula hoop and stilt-walking to name just a few.
“We were delighted with the workshops,” said Barry Fitzgerald, co-ordinator at the Hackney Shed.
“Both days were a great success and the sense of fun, engagement and skill from the young people was incredible.
You may also want to watch:
“It was just amazing to see how quickly they took to difficult skills such as arco-balance and stilt walking.
“The level of focus was fantastic and just so lovely to see how well they all worked together.”
- 1 "Heartless" Joshua White killers jailed for life
- 2 Broken De Beauvoir Estate lift saw man "bump" wife in wheelchair down stairs
- 3 Three men who went on stabbing spree in Hackney convicted of murder
- 4 Hackney police commander calls on community to "play its part" in crime prevention
- 5 ‘We are still human’: homeless households speak out over living conditions
- 6 "Outcry" over fortnightly rubbish collection in Stamford Hill
- 7 Calls for black women's voices to also be heard in light of Sarah Everard death
- 8 Hackney Rabbi campaigns with Idris Elba, Ed Sheeran, Lewis Hamilton and others to Never Forget Stephen Lawrence
- 9 "Predator" jailed after sexually assaulting sleeping woman on Hackney bus
- 10 Campaigners to protest at GP surgeries as outrage grows over US takeover
Established in 2001, the Hackney Shed is a performing arts group for young people.
It operates out of the BSix college building in Kenninghall Road, Upper Clapton.
They run three clubs for differing age groups: “Children’s Theatre” for those aged seven to 11, “Youth Theatre” for 11- to 16-year-olds and “Hackney Shed +” for those aged 16 to 19.
Visit hackneyshed.org.uk for more