Steve Allen: A mask under your chin is pointless
Steve Allen, comedian
- Credit: PA
Two is better than one. That’s often true unless you’re talking about something like a broken arm.
It is therefore not surprising to hear that experts have found wearing two masks at once is better than one. It makes a lot of sense to me.
I see many people with a mask on but they have it under their chin. So if they wore a second one there’s a chance it might actually land in the right place and cover their nose and mouth.
Wearing a mask under your chin is pointless. It’s like only applying sun cream under your Speedos.
A chin hammock wearer is worse than someone with no mask at all. There are some valid but rare reasons why someone truly cannot wear a face mask and it is right that those people are exempt from the rules. If someone has a mask on their chin, they own one and can wear one. They’re choosing to stick their breathing parts out.
You may also want to watch:
I have a theory that you can tell who is actually unable to wear a mask; it is the people who are contrite about it. Whereas the loud person who has their camera-phone out filming themselves ranting about the Magna Carta in the middle of a Tesco is probably refusing to wear a mask for effect.
I’m not sure this research will make a difference. There are some who think that wearing a mask to protect other people is too much effort for them. They have already made up their minds and they have found the YouTube videos to back up their point.
- 1 Haggerston tenants 'in the dark' after scaffolding left up for a year
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 Hackney and Islington have some of the loudest neighbours in London
- 4 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 5 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 6 Campaign to keep Hackney Wick 'alive' with street art
- 7 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 8 Delivery service helps local shops in Hackney, Islington and Tower Hamlets
- 9 Hoxton restaurant showcases menus by New City College student chefs
- 10 Garden of Lament, Covid, Ramadan, homing cats and Islamophobia
So, I will keep wearing my mask, not just to protect other people, but so that I can mutter insults at those I see with their chin warmer and they won’t know where it’s coming from.