'I can't wait to buy useless items' when shops reopen after Covid lockdown
Steve Allen, comdian
- Credit: PA Images
As more of the news turns to stories about the reopening of the UK, I can feel my mood starting to lift. I know we have to tread carefully and remain sensible but when I hear that shops will be able to stay open to 10pm, I can’t wait to get stuck in.
I was used to the 24-hour supermarket and I used to complain when they shut at midnight on a Saturday night. I think I had them on a technicality; how can you call yourself 24-hour if there are any hours that you are shut for?
To suddenly lose all of that access to buying stuff I really didn’t need was a shock.
The opening hour extension isn’t just to let us shop for longer and buy more, there is a logical reason behind it. If we have more time to chose from, we won’t all crush into the shop at once, thereby increasing the risk of transmission. I should say for the record now, I might be in there many times a day buying goods that no one needs.
Scented candles. I know they are probably the most pointless item you can buy but I want them. I don’t know if someone thought “wouldn’t it be nice if this candle smelled like we were burning something,” or “wouldn’t it be nice if we could set fire to an air freshener”.
Stationery. I love to buy items for my home office and during the pandemic I have been working from home a lot more. Did I get through more stationery? Of course not, everything is done on computers these days, yet still I crave dividers for folders.
You may also want to watch:
There are so many useless items I can’t wait to buy. The only problem is that I also have lost most of my work, so I can’t afford them yet.
- 1 'The pressure is intense': Hoxton vegan chef competes in Great British Menu
- 2 London elections 2021 live: Latest results as they come in
- 3 What can open in Hackney when lockdown rules ease on May 17?
- 4 'Massive stabbing' in Old Street: Man attacked outside Moorfields Hospital
- 5 London Fields: Woman's cheekbone fractured in broad daylight attack
- 6 Election 2021: Hackney by-election results revealed
- 7 All you need to know about the Hackney by-elections on May 6
- 8 Anti-LTN independent candidates deny creating new political party
- 9 Hackney New School to complain to Ofcom over damning ITV report
- 10 Teenagers shot and stabbed in Hackney