'I've seen too many horror films to join trip around the moon'
Steve Allen, Comedian and Hackney Resident
- Credit: PA
After being stuck at home for such a long time, I may have found an opportunity that would let you get away from it all.
A Japanese billionaire has launched a search for eight people to join him as the first private passengers on a trip around the moon. It’s Yusaku Maezawa who will be taking the trip with Elon Musk's SpaceX in 2023.
I won’t be applying for the trip myself. I have seen too many horror movies to trust him. I don’t want to end up being the prey that billionaires hunt for sport on the moon.
I can see how tempting this is though. How many people get to leave the atmosphere? Not many. We haven’t been able to leave our own homes that much, let alone the planet.
The same four walls have become mundane, and I know you’d be swapping them for four other smaller walls but walls that cost millions are definitely better than mine.
Surely it’s safe and Covid-compliant. Social distancing requires that we stay two metres away and up in space it's a little further than that.
You may also want to watch:
Yes, you will be breathing the same air as the rest of the people on that trip but all of the passengers will have been tested. Yusaku Maezawa and Elon Musk are billionaires, so they will have been given the real vaccine from Bill Gates.
I think the most desirable part of this space holiday would be the distance. You could truly get away from it all. After a full year of worry, loss, angry people in Tesco shouting about the Magna Carta and trolls online making up lies about Bill Gates like I just did, it would be so peaceful to be up in space.
- 1 Three men charged following Hackney shooting
- 2 Hackney schoolgirl and actress Bukky Bakray wins Bafta
- 3 NEU members continue strike action at Leaways
- 4 Lottery winners build nesting boxes for Woodberry Wetlands birds
- 5 Jailed: Newham men who raped and robbed women in Hackney home
- 6 Leyton Orient seal win over Barrow to move just one point off the play-offs
- 7 Mare Street Narroway see's queues for Primark and independent shops reopen on April 12
- 8 Hackney resident urges women to consider careers in construction
- 9 Leyton Orient boss McAnuff wants his side to impose themselves on Barrow
- 10 Police hunt Ilford man after shooting in Hackney
And when you get back, you’d only have the flat earthers to argue with.