Stoke Newington - building fire closes Green Lanes
Part of Green Lanes is still closed this morning following a building fire in the early hours – and police are investigating whether the blaze is linked to a string of recent firebombings.
The incident happened at 1.20am in a non-residential building, believed to be a men’s club.
While firefighters tackled the fire, police closed the street between Petherton Road and Albion Road, and ambulance crews treated a man at the scene for burns to his hands.
The section of road is still closed in both directions, and there is a diversion in operation affecting bus routes 141 and 341.
A police spokesman said: “We are investigating whether the fire is linked to other incidents in the area.”
You may also want to watch:
The blaze follows a spate of firebombings at Turkish businesses and community centres, which has left local residents nervous.
A Molotov cocktail was hurled at the Turkish and Cypriot Council and Community Centre, in nearby Mount Grove Road, Stoke Newington, on Sunday, December 4.
- 1 Key road closed: Hackney and Islington travel news July 31 - August 6
- 2 'Heads need to roll', says domestic violence campaigner after 'reckless' council data blunder
- 3 Students earn scholarships at top schools worth £150,000
- 4 £5.75m investment agreed for "historic" Clapton leisure centre
- 5 Lidl opens! First shoppers enjoy Finsbury Park supermarket
- 6 'It's like toilet', say Dalston residents who have had enough of broken locks, rats and scaffolding
- 7 Vacant Grade I-listed Shoreditch church to be restored and revamped
- 8 Dangerously overloaded vans leaving New Spitalfields Market taken off the road
- 9 Hackney residents plan to make noise for more representative voting systems
- 10 Drug dealer who killed "beloved" Hackney father convicted
About five weeks earlier, Zaman Newspaper in Drayton Park, Highbury, was attacked by arsonists.
Firebugs targeted the Islamic Community Centre, in Highbury New Park, on November 26, and a separate attack happened the same day at the Turkish Community Centre, in the Clavering Industrial Estate in Edmonton.
And the Turkish Islamic Cultural Centre, in Wood Green, was hit on December 2.
Nobody was injured in any of the previous incidents, and the police launched an investigation to discover who was responsible for the attacks. They asked anyone with information to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.