Stoke Newington - building fire closes Green Lanes
Part of Green Lanes is still closed this morning following a building fire in the early hours – and police are investigating whether the blaze is linked to a string of recent firebombings.
The incident happened at 1.20am in a non-residential building, believed to be a men’s club.
While firefighters tackled the fire, police closed the street between Petherton Road and Albion Road, and ambulance crews treated a man at the scene for burns to his hands.
The section of road is still closed in both directions, and there is a diversion in operation affecting bus routes 141 and 341.
A police spokesman said: “We are investigating whether the fire is linked to other incidents in the area.”
The blaze follows a spate of firebombings at Turkish businesses and community centres, which has left local residents nervous.
A Molotov cocktail was hurled at the Turkish and Cypriot Council and Community Centre, in nearby Mount Grove Road, Stoke Newington, on Sunday, December 4.
- 1 Operation to crack down on Dalston street robberies erupted into 'violence'
- 2 Flats under construction in Hackney Wick to be knocked down and rebuilt
- 3 Disorder in Dalston: Eight charged and footage referred to IOPC watchdog
- 4 Footage appearing to show officer striking man in Dalston under review
- 5 New community mural painted by residents unveiled in Stoke Newington
- 6 Arrests for violent disorder following Dalston moped operation
- 7 Three men convicted for Dalston shooting
- 8 Two teenagers arrested following stabbing of 16-year-old
- 9 Men jailed after firing 13 shots at people in children's park
- 10 'A horrific attack': Man suffers critical head injuries from Shoreditch fight
About five weeks earlier, Zaman Newspaper in Drayton Park, Highbury, was attacked by arsonists.
Firebugs targeted the Islamic Community Centre, in Highbury New Park, on November 26, and a separate attack happened the same day at the Turkish Community Centre, in the Clavering Industrial Estate in Edmonton.
And the Turkish Islamic Cultural Centre, in Wood Green, was hit on December 2.
Nobody was injured in any of the previous incidents, and the police launched an investigation to discover who was responsible for the attacks. They asked anyone with information to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.